History in Structure

Wallace Craigie Works, Ferry Road, Dundee

A Category B Listed Building in Maryfield, Dundee

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.4664 / 56°27'58"N

Longitude: -2.9578 / 2°57'28"W

OS Eastings: 341080

OS Northings: 730881

OS Grid: NO410308

Mapcode National: GBR ZCB.M8

Mapcode Global: WH7RB.JQQP

Plus Code: 9C8VF28R+GV

Entry Name: Wallace Craigie Works, Ferry Road, Dundee

Listing Name: 2 Wallace Street and 2 Broughty Ferry Road, Wallace Craigie Works

Listing Date: 18 May 1987

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 361303

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB25132

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200361303

Location: Dundee

County: Dundee

Town: Dundee

Electoral Ward: Maryfield

Traditional County: Angus

Tagged with: Factory

Find accommodation in


1834-6 3-storey and attic 8-bay (7-bay front due to skewed E gable) fireproof flax, later jute mill, extended by 10-bays to E in 1864-5, rubble-built.

S elevation: 17-bay with 1865 section slightly advanced. Most ground floor windows blocked. 2 bays at W to 1865 engine have round-headed ground floor doors and 1st floor windows. Main cornice and corniced gutter.

N elevation of 1834-6 mill is intact, with small windows at ground floor, but later buildings added to ground and 1st floors of 1864-5 block. 2nd floor and attic are intact with gabled dormer hoist and raised lift-housing.

W elevation: 2-window with large windows at 1st floor to 1830s engine house and blind stair bay at N. Oculus, skews, skewputts and ball finial to gable.

E elevation: blank with doors to adjoining narrower 3-storey winding and dressing block (rebuilt after 1945 fire). Ball finial missing. Some windows are original 12-pane sash and case, most are modern metal-framed. Slate roof with skylights, interrupted at join between E and W mills.

Interior: 2 rows of cast-iron columns carry cast-iron beams, brick arches and wrought-iron ties. Patterns of castings differ between 1830s and 1860s sections. Original staircases and dividing walls. E wall of 1834-6 mill bends to follow course of Craigie Burn. Small engine house at W and large engine house at E ends have had 1st floor inserted but retain stone foundations at ground floor and original ceilings (plastered at W and with large beams and hooks at E). Wooden tie-beam roof with wrought-iron ties and cast-iron shoes.

1865 tall square-section full-height brick-built chimney stalk, (demolished c,1990).

Statement of Interest

The last functioning textile works in the city still owned by the original firm, William Halley and Sons Ltd. Built by a partnership of William Halley, Robert Brough and James Gilroy, all local manufacturers. Of lesser intereston this: power loom factory, built 1865, rebuilt 1945 (3-storey) and 1957 (1-storey) following fires; offices converted from boiler house at corner of Wallace Street and Broughty Ferry Road; buildings N of mill, mainly 1950s and 1960s, but also 1872 iron-framed warping and winding block by Wallace Street. Production transferred to wester gourdie in 2004

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.