History in Structure

Former Hall, St John's Episcopal Church, 110 Albert Street, Dundee

A Category B Listed Building in Maryfield, Dundee

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.4706 / 56°28'14"N

Longitude: -2.9577 / 2°57'27"W

OS Eastings: 341095

OS Northings: 731353

OS Grid: NO410313

Mapcode National: GBR ZCB.B6

Mapcode Global: WH7RB.JMSF

Plus Code: 9C8VF2CR+6W

Entry Name: Former Hall, St John's Episcopal Church, 110 Albert Street, Dundee

Listing Name: 110, 116 Albert Street, St John's Episcopal Church and Former Hall

Listing Date: 30 June 1989

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 361339

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB25168

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200361339

Location: Dundee

County: Dundee

Town: Dundee

Electoral Ward: Maryfield

Traditional County: Angus

Tagged with: Hall

Find accommodation in


Rev Edward Sugden, 1885. Simple small Gothic church with
nave, apsidal chancel, aisles and attached hall. Rubble
built with ashlar dressings, set at picturesque 45 degree
angle to the street.
Canted porch, pointed arched entrance leading to shouldered
arched door with inscription. 3 trefoiled triple lights
to aisles, timber clerestory of mullioned triple lights.
3-sided apse to chancel, side bay splayed to pavement
line. Cusped single and 2-light windows. NE (liturgical W)
gable with 2 square-headed windows, originally 2-light
(altered for stained glass 1904) and oculus. Angle
chamfered and corbelled out at left, stack to right.
Square-section bellcote with louvres, cusps, steep French
slate roof and wrought-iron cross finial. Slate roof,
ridge tiles over chancel, Celtic cross finial to chancel
arch, wrought-iron finial to apse. Small pane cathedral
glazing, except to apse and NE gable stained glass.
HALL: 3-bay gable to street. Centre door, 2 flanking
top-hopper windows, upper small paned traceried window,
hoodmoulds. Brick rear. Slate roof with skylight.
Wrought-iron finial.
INTERIOR, CHURCH: 4-bay nave and aisles with timber hammer
beam roof on timber arcade. Windows hoodmoulded stained
glass in chancel and at rear, latter dated 1904.
Refurnished by Thoms and Wilkie, high quality woodwork
by Jones and Willis. Ornate carved counter balanced font
cover, pulpit anc choir stalls with mythological beasts as
arm rests. Perpendicular Gothic old organ case. Carved
reredoes with triptych. Ashlar chancel arch, marble chancel
floor and rail, brass altar rail. Wrought-iron light fittings.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. New hall,

constructed in 1987 to rear of church, is excluded from

list. Furnishings are of particularly high quality.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.