This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.4643 / 56°27'51"N
Longitude: -2.9841 / 2°59'2"W
OS Eastings: 339459
OS Northings: 730670
OS Grid: NO394306
Mapcode National: GBR Z89.Q8
Mapcode Global: WH7RB.4S89
Entry Name: Dudhope Castle
Listing Date: 12 July 1963
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 361380
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB25195
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Coldside
Traditional County: Angus
Late 16th/17th century. L-plan 4-storey fortress and large tower house, rubble-built with angle turrets. SW wing built circa 1588 with vaulted basement, heightened in 2 stages, pend section dated 1600, NE wing circa 1684-9 on site of keep of 1460. Roof lines and floors altered 1792 and 1799 on conversion first to woollen manufactory, then, by Samuel Bell, to barracks. Restored and harled 1985-8.
NE WING: E ELEVATION: central segmental arched pend flanked by twin drums, latter reduced to band course level 1986 and given conical roofs. Swept roofed bellcote (rebuilt 1986) on corbelled out gablet with oculus by Samuel Bell, 1799. Section to right altered from 4 to
3 storeys 1986 by raising of ground floor and blocking of 1st floor windows. Section to left earlier, battered at ground floor, 3 blocked windows reopened 1986. Wallhead stacks, that to left original, that to right new. Clasping conical-roofed angle turrets, that to left with smaller windows and thicker walls than that to right. Tall stack of NE turret rebuilt in brick. N gable slightly advanced to right, with some remnants of the earlier keep (roll moulded fireplace in attic space inside).
W ELEVATION: pend not a true arch. Roll-moulded door to right. 5-bays N of pend slightly advanced, 3 windows formed 1986 between floors by blocking of ground and 1st floor windows. 4-storeys retained at pend and stair levels.
SW WING, S ELEVATION: circa 1588, 2nd and then 3rd floor wallhead cills of dormers raised to full height in 2 stages (the second in 1790s) to the present 4-storey and basement. 6 bays between clasping angle turrets. brick-built gable and stack added to right 1986, over 2 re-opened and 1 blocked window. Some windows at lower levels roll-moulded and with sockets for bars. Evidence of blocked ground floor window between 4th and 5th bays. Small basement windows. SW tower has corbelled-out link at 2nd and 3rd floors, openings altered to match new floor levels, 1799.
W GABLE: skewputts at 2 levels, indicating that roof was raised twice and once was crow-stepped. The lower skewputt bears armorial of Dame Madelene Livingstone (late 16th century wife of Sir James Scrymgeour).
N ELEVATION: 6-bay, 3rd from left has semi-circular turret, removed 1799, reformed 1988 from original ground floor corbel. Irregular fenestration to right (at position of great hall/dining room?).
Gabled slate roofs, with piend behind SE turret. Join in roof-line behind bellcote. Stacks rebuilt in brick and harled, 1986. Windows renewed 1987, multi-paned sash and case.
INTERIOR: SW wing basement barrel vaults, and groin vault at W kitchen. All timber floors (reformed for barrack rooms 1799) and stone stairs replaced at same levels to modern standards 1988. Some evidence remains in internal walls of fireplaces (eg N gable) and of window openings (eg N face to courtyard) not discernible from outside.
Seat from the 14th century, of the Constables of Dundee who held Dudhope (and therefore protected or subdued Dundee, as required) for the King. In 1668 the post of constable passed from the Scrymgeours, who had till then held it, to Charles Maitland, and on in 1684 to "Bonnie Dundee", John Graham of Claverhouse. The Killiecrankie campaign began at Dudhope following Graham s clash with the Convention of Estates in March-July 1689. In 1694 the post of constable went to Archibald Douglas, earl of Forfar and he was succeeded by his cousin, under whom the post was abolished in 1748. The Douglas family occupied Dudhope castle until circa 1790 when they moved to Dudhope House. William Douglas of Brigton, obtained a lease and sub-let the castle to the "British Woollen Co" in 1792-3. It became a government barracks during the alarms occasioned by the French Revolution. Served as Barracks from 1793-1880. Purchased by the Town (with neighbouring feuars and private persons) in 1893. The site was again requisitioned for use as a barracks in both the First and Second World War. Restored and harled 1985-89. All wooden posts and beams, including the re-used joists of a 17th century painted ceiling, together with barracks impedimenta, musket stands and WRIV grates, are believed to be destroyed.
Other nearby listed buildings