This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.4571 / 56°27'25"N
Longitude: -2.9799 / 2°58'47"W
OS Eastings: 339707
OS Northings: 729872
OS Grid: NO397298
Mapcode National: GBR Z8W.08
Mapcode Global: WH7RB.6Y8S
Entry Name: 1 and 3 Perth Road, Ellenbank and Union Mount, University of Dundee, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 4 February 1965
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 361497
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB25289
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: West End
Traditional County: Angus
Attributed to David Neave, early 19th century; additions to W mid 19th century; single storey addition to rear early 20th century; linking block John Donald Mills and Godfrey D B Shepherd, 1928. 2-storey and basement university building formed from 2 linked classical villas. Stugged sandstone ashlar front, coursers to side, rubble to rear, stugged ashlar quoins, ashlar dressings, piended grey slate roof. Band course to 1st floor at Ellenbank. 12-pane sash and case windows, some
altered to 4-pane, architraved and corniced to ground floor front;
leaded windows with chamfered arrises to ground floor of linking
block, 16-pane to 1st floor. Corniced blocking course at wallhead; some corniced stacks remaining; cast-iron rainwater goods.
FRONT ELEVATION: No 1 (Ellenbank) to right, 3-bay; slightly advanced pedimented centre bay, porch approached by steps with moulded, consoled and corniced doorcase flanked by Ionic columns and Doric angle piers, round-headed windows to returns, modillioned and corniced balustraded parapet, window to 1st floor; slightly advanced bays to left and right with window to ground (with consoled cornice) and 1st floor. No 3 (Union Mount) to left; 5-bay; slightly advanced pedimented centre bay,
Ionic columned porch approached by steps, door with astragalled fanlight, window to 1st floor; 2 windows at ground and 1st floor to left and right; 2-bay, 2-storey addition set-back to far left with 2 bipartites at 1st floor, single storey flat-roofed addition with 2 windows advanced in re-entrant of main building. 4-bay linking section to centre: window advanced from 2 centre bays with 3 cross windows and window to left and right returns, corniced wallhead, window to left and right, 4 windows to 1st floor.
RIGHT RETURN ELEVATION: (Ellenbank). Door to centre basement with fanlight and margined, canopied doorpiece, 2 windows to left and right; 4 windows to 1st and 2nd floors.
LEFT RETURN ELEVATION: (Union Mount) blocked door to left with pilastered doorcase, angle to far left chamfered and corbelled at ground floor, blocked round-headed window to 1st floor.
REAR ELEVATION: No 1 (Ellenbank) to left, 3-bay; later porch and door formed from window at basement/ground floor centre, stair window above; bay advanced to left with bipartite window to basement, single window to ground floor, blocked window to 1st; bay advanced to right with bipartite window to basement, tripartite to ground floor (blocked at centre), 2 windows to 1st (blocked at left); tall linked stack rising from wallhead at centre of outer bays. No 3 (Union Mount) to right:
4 windows to basement, ground and 1st floor, stair window to centre; large single storey, brick-built structure advanced from centre with piended slate roof; addition to right with 2 blocked windows to basement, 2 border-glazed round-headed windows to ground floor, 2 windows to 1st. Linking section at centre: door to centre, various windows to ground and 1st floor.
INTERIOR: Ellenbank: tesselated flagstone floor in hall, well stair
with openwork balustrade; richly decorated cornices and ceilings, some panelling and original chimneypieces. Union Mount: imperial staircase with open work balustrade; richly decorated cornices and ceilings, key pattern at ground floor window reveals, some rooms sub-divided, evidence of columned screens. Oak panelled former dining room in linking section.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALL: 3 pyramidal-capped gatepiers and low boundary wall with 7 railing posts to front (railings removed).
Ellenbank is noted in the DUNDEE DIRECTORIES as the residence of James Edward, of J and D Edward, of J and D Edward, flax spinners between 1846-7 and 1867-8, and Union Mount as the residence of David Baxter, of Baxter Brothers, flax spinners in 1846-7. The buildings were acquired
by University College and converted to the Students' Union (Ellenbank) and the College Library (Union Mount) in 1904-5. Presently (1993) the Departments of Accountancy and Economics.
Other nearby listed buildings