This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0755 / 56°4'31"N
Longitude: -3.4474 / 3°26'50"W
OS Eastings: 310004
OS Northings: 687904
OS Grid: NT100879
Mapcode National: GBR 1Y.PCGF
Mapcode Global: WH6RX.0KNB
Plus Code: 9C8R3HG3+52
Entry Name: The Lodge, Leys Park Road
Listing Name: Leys Park Road, Former Poorhouse Probationary Ward ('the Lodge'), Including Gatepiers and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 8 August 1986
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 362504
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26031
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunfermline North
Traditional County: Fife
Andrew Scobie, 1885. Single-storey; 3-bay; T-plan; detached former poorhouse probationary ward with gabled flanking bays with mullioned bipartites to principal (S) elevation. Coursed stugged sandstone rubble with droved and polished ashlar dressings. Base course; eaves band.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical arrangement. Architraved central entrance; replacement metal-faced door with 2-pane rectangular fanlight. Slightly projecting flanking gabled outer bays; each with short broken section of eaves band to either side at head of moulded skewputt; mullioned bipartite with bracketed canopy and apron to each.
E ELEVATION: blank bay projects to left (entrance and window to right return). Short section of rubble wall with rounded coping adjoins to right, enclosing small walled yard; mullioned bipartite set back to rear wing behind wall.
2 and 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof, piended apart from to principal (S) elevation. 3 corniced ashlar stacks with friezes; stacks (octagonal) to one only.
INTERIOR: not inspected (1999).
B-Group with former Dunfermline Poorhouse and Northern Hospital (Ley's Park Nursing Home) and former Fever Hospital (McLean House). Built as part of the Dunfermline Poorhouse (founded in 1843). In 1904 it became a hospital as well as a poorhouse. With the creation of the National Health Service in 1948 it came under the management of the West Fife Hospital Board and became the Northern Hospital, specialising in the care of the long-term and chronic sick. The hospital was closed in 1985, since which time it has been sold and passed into use as a nursing home.
Other nearby listed buildings