This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.1891 / 56°11'20"N
Longitude: -3.9649 / 3°57'53"W
OS Eastings: 278153
OS Northings: 701349
OS Grid: NN781013
Mapcode National: GBR 1B.G36V
Mapcode Global: WH4NT.2P6Q
Plus Code: 9C8R52QP+M2
Entry Name: Cathedral Hall, Dunblane Cathedral, Kirk Street, Dunblane
Listing Name: The Cross, Dunblane Cathedral Halls
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 362990
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26364
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunblane and Bridge of Allan
Traditional County: Perthshire
Sir Robert Rowand Anderson, 1903; substantially extended 1997. Single storey and single storey and attic; asymmetrical cathedral church hall. Scottish 17th century design with crowstepped gables and strapworked pediments to principal openings. Harled exterior with sandstone ashlar dressings. Base course to original building. Architraved openings. Plain ashlar gables to breaking-eaves dormers. Vertical margins at arrises.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3-bay. Steps up to entrance set back to gabled central bay; moulded architrave surmounted by strapworked pediment with central cartouche; 2-leaf panelled timber door. Small window to attic above with pediment carved with cherub and finial panel with star; strapwork carving below cill. Left bay set back; window to ground floor and breaking-eaves gabled dormer to attic. Wide gabled bay projects to right; large 9-light mullioned and transomed ground floor window with pediment and cartouche dated '1903' surmounted by obelisk motif; plain apron to window.
N ELEVATION: 5-bay (original building). 2 gabled projecting bays to outer right. Large ground floor window to each bay; each with pediment with cartouche. Inserted entrance to outer left. Late 20th century addition adjoins set back to outer right.
S ELEVATION: 7-bay (original building). Large ground floor window to each of 2 bays set back to outer right; each with pediment with cartouche. Narrow bay with ground floor window projects to left. 2 gabled bays project to left; ground floor window to each; attic window to that to left. Gabled breaking-eaves attic window to each of 2 bays set back slightly to outer left; ground floor window to that to right.
W ELEVATION: large late 20th century addition projects to left. Gable end of original building set back to right; entrance to left; replacement glazed door and rectangular fanlight; small attic window above; 2 ground floor windows to right.
Mainly small-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof. Cast-iron rainwater goods largely original. 2 gablehead stacks; each coped with ashlar margins with stepped sides, at W end of original building; round cans. Rectangular-plan ventilation shaft with ogee-arched cap to main ridge (above main hall).
INTERIOR: largely refurbished late 20th century. Main hall open to segmental-arched timber roof; large-pointed arch opening to recess on N side.
An attractive early 20th century cathedral church hall by a distinguished Scottish architect. Rowand Anderson had been responsible for the restoration of the adjacent cathedral (see separate listing) some years previously.
Other nearby listed buildings