This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1941 / 56°11'38"N
Longitude: -3.9543 / 3°57'15"W
OS Eastings: 278832
OS Northings: 701880
OS Grid: NN788018
Mapcode National: GBR 1B.FRMJ
Mapcode Global: WH4NT.7K8X
Plus Code: 9C8R52VW+J7
Entry Name: Yard And Walled Garden, Ledcameroch With Stables, Perth Road, Dunblane
Listing Name: Perth Road, Ledcameroch Including Stables, Stable Yard Wall and Walled Garden
Listing Date: 28 October 1976
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 363050
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26427
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunblane and Bridge of Allan
Traditional County: Perthshire
1858, extended 1888. 2-storey, 8-bay, rectangular-plan, asymmetrical Italianate villa with 3-stage tower to centre. Squared and snecked, bull-faced whinstone with yellow ashlar sandstone margins. Barge boarded overhanging eaves with projecting rafters. Long and short quoins. Base course, dividing band between 1st and 2nd storeys. Predominantly square-headed windows, blocked architraves.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: slightly advanced gabled entrance bay to centre right; panelled timber door to centre with semicircular fanlight, flanking spiral fluted columns on plinths with Ionic capitals supporting deep rollmoulded semicircular-arched reveal with scrolled keystone; entrance framed by heavy pilasters, and adjacent windows, terminating in scrolled consoles, supporting projecting cornice and coped balcony to 1st floor semicircular-arched window. Slightly advanced gabled bay to right with canopied square-headed window to 1st floor. Single storey lean-to bay to centre left with gabled window breaking eaves to centre. 3-stage tower rising behind; engaged 1st stage; plate tracery with stone mullion, bipartite semicircular-arched window to 2nd stage within pointed-arch ashlar margin; cill height continuous string course to 3rd stage, smaller semicircular-arched bipartite window, impost height continuous string course; scrolled timber brackets supporting projecting cornice to roof; tall pyramidal roof with cast-iron decorative cresting. Small windows to left of tower. Advanced 2-storey gabled bay with attic storey to outer left; stone-mullioned bipartite windows.
S (REAR) ELEVATION: single bay to outer left. 3-bay central block with advanced, gabled, canted bay to left. 2-storey with attic, 4-bay block to outer right.
E (SIDE) ELEVATION: 2-storey with attic, regular fenestration. Gabled bay to right; 2-storey, 3-bay deep, advanced gabled bay abutting to left, single storey piended roof block abutting advanced bay to NE corner. Single bay, gabled stair tower to centre. 2-bay N return to outer right.
W (SIDE) ELEVATION: 2-storey, 2-bay, chamfered quoins. Slightly advanced bay to left; stone-mullioned, tripartite windows, ashlar entablature and projecting cornice to ground floor. Broad bay to right with advanced, gabled, canted bay to centre, corbelled out to gablehead, inset panel inscribed 'CC 1884'.
INTERIOR: tessellated tiles in entrance porch. Interior largely gutted and new partition walls, doors and floating ceilings installed for conversion to staff accommodation.
Predominantly plate glass, timber-framed sash and case windows. Grey slates, lead flashing. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
STABLES AND STABLE YARD WALL: 2-storey, 4-bay, rectangular-plan stable block in a similar manner to the house. Central double bay open to the ground with central cast-iron column with stalls to rear, 2 small windows to upper storey with gables breaking eaves. Flanked by symmetrical 2-storey blocks, segmentally-arched carriage entrance to left block with boarded 2-leaf timber door, regular fenestration to block to right with cat-slide roof to outer right. Blank to sides and rear. Small random rubble stable yard wall with square-plan bull-faced entrance piers and plain coped caps.
WALLED GARDEN: rectangular-plan, coped random rubble wall to SE of house with small gated link wall abutting to SE corner of house.
Ledcameroch was the first villa built in Dunblane and was originally called Whitecross House. What was once a substantial villa in its own right is now used as staff accommodation for the neighbouring Dunblane Hydro (see separate listing). The central tower and massing of the gabled blocks suggest the influence of Glasgow architects such as Charles Wilson.
Other nearby listed buildings