History in Structure

Glasite Meeting House, 33 Barony Street, Edinburgh

A Category A Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 55.9578 / 55°57'28"N

Longitude: -3.1915 / 3°11'29"W

OS Eastings: 325704

OS Northings: 674509

OS Grid: NT257745

Mapcode National: GBR 8PC.0S

Mapcode Global: WH6SL.YJD0

Plus Code: 9C7RXR55+49

Entry Name: Glasite Meeting House, 33 Barony Street, Edinburgh

Listing Name: 33 Barony Street, Glasite Meeting House

Listing Date: 30 September 1964

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 363888

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26973

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200363888

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Town: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: City Centre

Traditional County: Midlothian

Tagged with: Building

Find accommodation in


Alexander Black, 1836, with later additions and alterations. 2-storey, 5-bay asymmetrical rectangular-plan former ecclesiastical building. Ashlar sandstone, polished at principal floor of principal elevation, broached at 1st floor of principal elevation. Base course, corniced frieze at ground floor, returned and terminated at E elevation; eaves course; cornice and blocking course. Predominantly blind openings to E and S elevations; panelled aprons at principal floor of N elevation; projecting cills to E and S elevations. Long and short quoins to rear.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 5-bay, comprising 2-leaf 6-panel timber door with decorative rectangular fanlight in penultimate bay at ground floor, small 2-pane window with stone transom to left; windows in remaining bays at ground floor; architraved windows in bays at 1st floor.

E (ALBANY LANE) ELEVATION: 5-bay, comprising advanced polished ashlar 2-bay return from principal elevation to right, with 2-leaf vertically-boarded timber door in penultimate bay from right at ground, with blind window to right, and blind windows aligned above at 1st floor. 3 bays to left comprising blind tripartite segmental-arched window with droved details within, flanked by blind windows at ground.

W ELEVATION: adjoining terrace, see separate listing (33-41 Barony Street).

S (REAR) ELEVATION: blind segmental-arched tripartite window, flanked by windows at ground, pair of oculi at eaves.

Predominantly 15-pane timber sash and case windows. Ballachulish and Easdale slate piended and octagonal piended roofs, with Welsh and Spanish slate patching. 16-pane skylight. Lead, PVCu and cast-iron rainwater goods. Cement rendered stacks; concrete copes, with circular cans.

INTERIOR: double-height rectangular Meeting Room to rear at principal floor, comprising panelled timber staged 2-tier and canopied pulpit by David Bryce, 1873, centred at S wall with advanced pediment, consoles and acroteriae, flanked by steps with cast-iron railings; panelled timber box pews; pair of 2-leaf flush-beaded timber doors to N wall; blocked and painted former fireplace in SW corner; pilasters supporting eliptical arches with pair of ventilating oculi windows in spandrels to S wall, added by James Dunn, 1890; octagonal cupola centred at ceiling with clear and yellow-stained diamond leaded lights, some etched with decorative motifs; earlier 20th century chandelier. Stone flagged hall; vertically-boarded timber dado; decorative timber panel surmounted by swan neck pediment, with painted text, reading 'A Meeting House, commonly called Glasite or Sandemanian of the Church of Christ for Public Worship...'. Kitchen and offices in former house keeper's rooms at principal floor, including former Elders' study with baize and panelled door. Stone stairs with decorative cast-iron railings; stair well dado level marked by semicircular timber ridge. Principal 1st floor room, former 'Feast Hall' (McWilliam Room), comprising blind arcaded wall to W, with door in arch to left; windows on N wall flanked by presses; geometric coffered ceiling and Greek-key pattern cornice; pair of timber fireplaces with porphyry mantelpieces; tables and benches original to the building; dumb-waiter in cupboard at door. Offices at 1st floor, formerly visiting preachers' suite. Stone stairs to basement, with modernised WC facilities and boiler room.

Statement of Interest

Part of the Edinburgh New Town A Group. The former Glasite Meeting House was rescued by the Cockburn Conservation Trust, and is now the national headquarters of The Architectural History Society of Scotland, with offices used by the Scottish Society for Conservation and Restoration.

Glasites were the followers of John Glas (1695-1773), who was removed from the Church of Scotland ministry in 1730 for his beliefs regarding the jurisdiction of the congregation. The first Glasite church was founded in Dundee. 33 Barony Street was built to replace the Glasites first Edinburgh church established in Chalmers Close in 1755. The Edinburgh Glasite congregation was the last to survive, until 1989, and 33 Barony Street was given to the Cockburn Conservation Trust in December of that year.

33 Barony Street adheres to the traditionally simple appearance of Glasite Meeting Houses. An early commission for Alexander Black, he most likely used William Alexander's OBSERVATIONS ON THE CONSTRUCTION AND FITTING UP OF MEETING HOUSES, ETC, FOR PUBLIC WORSHIP (York, 1820) to meet with the design requirements. The choice to use Black's design probably came about as he was made surveyor to the Heriot Trust in 1836, and the land was bought by the Glasites from the Heriot Trust the same year.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.