This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9473 / 55°56'50"N
Longitude: -3.2367 / 3°14'12"W
OS Eastings: 322863
OS Northings: 673388
OS Grid: NT228733
Mapcode National: GBR 8CH.WJ
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.7SZ2
Plus Code: 9C7RWQW7+W8
Entry Name: Church Of The Good Shepherd, 13A Murrayfield Avenue, Edinburgh
Listing Name: 13a Murrayfield Avenue, Church of the Good Shepherd (Scottish Episcopal Church)
Listing Date: 12 December 1974
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 363919
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26995
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Corstorphine/Murrayfield
Traditional County: Midlothian
Sir Robert Lorimer, 1897-99. Squat, single storey, cruciform-plan church in Scots idiom with Perpendicular tracery. Coursed, rough Hailes stone, with polished coursed sandstone buttresses and dressings, including mullions and long and short surrounds. Skews and skewputts; finials to gables.
SW (FRONT) ELEVATION: large, four-centred 6-light window divided by gabled and finialled central buttress; small, louvered opening to gablehead.
SE (SIDE) ELEVATION: advanced, gabled entrance porch at left, comprising recessed 2-leaf timber door with attached sandstone flags forming unusual geometrical decoration above; small chamfered light to gablehead; window to SW return; advanced, piend-roofed block at NE, sloping down at far end; bipartite window to centre with small single window at left and door to right; timber door set in pointed-arch opening to SW return; bipartite traceried windows, separated by buttresses, to each of 3 bays between porch at SW and block at NE.
NW (SIDE) ELEVATION: 5 regularly disposed windows set in brick wall (see below); pointed-arch opening to return of advanced, gabled block at NE end.
Leaded lights to tracery, plain at SW end, stained to side aisles; grey slate roof; cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: windows in 5 bays to NW side wall contain mixture of plain and stained glazing of varying dates; 3 windows at the SE are all stained glass, by Margaret Chilton; cills slope inwards, unlike those to the 'temporary' NW wall (see Notes), which are flat. 3 lights in E window showing Crucifixion by Oscar Paterson, who also did porch windows. Lectern at front left of church, bearing exquisitely carved naturalistic detail, designed by Lorimer. Perpendicular screen incorporates elaborately carved cusped tracery, while organ, by Brindley & Foster (1884), was moved from a private house in 1905. Cross-ribbed celure to chancel and, to SE wall, stone panelled stalls with carved details above. Original Lorimer drawing of church, complete with tower above the vestry and NW aisle, hangs on back wall, to right of plain leaded SW window, next to which stands incised stone font on a fluted Gothic pedestal.
Lorimer's original scheme incorporated a square-plan tower above the choir and vestry, and an aisle at the NW side. These features were never executed, or rather the tower was stopped at wallhead level, and the present brick wall, initially intended to be temporary, has been retained as the NW elevation.
Other nearby listed buildings