This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9723 / 55°58'20"N
Longitude: -3.1624 / 3°9'44"W
OS Eastings: 327547
OS Northings: 676084
OS Grid: NT275760
Mapcode National: GBR 8V6.XL
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.D49X
Entry Name: 2-4 (Inclusive) Links Gardens and 35 Salamander Place with Boundary Walls and Railings
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 365089
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27767
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Early 19th century. 3-storey with basement and attic, terrace of 3, 3-bay houses and corner tenement with oblique angle. Cream sandstone, polished ashlar ground floor, stugged ashlar above with polished dressings, coursed and squared rubble to rear. Band course above basement; rusticated ground floor; band course above ground floor; dentilled eaves cornice with blocking course.
SW (LINKS GARDENS): 12-bay; single windows to all bays (some blocked at basement level); doorways accessed by steps with Nos 2 and 4 with panelled doors and radial fanlights (doorway to former No 1 converted into window). 2 canted dormers with piended roofs to No 4; modern box dormers.
NW (SALAMANDER PLACE) ELEVATION: 4-bay; common stair doorway to outer left with consoled cornice, replacement door and fanlight; single windows and mansard extension above. Single windows to remaining bays.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: gable elevation squared and snecked rubble with gablehead raised into mansard. Single windows to rear, some altered, modern box dormers.
Mostly timber sash and case windows, 12-pane and plate glass glazing, replacement windows to No 3 and to rear. Slate roof with metal flashings; coped mutual stacks and skews.
INTERIOR: not seen 1993.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS: low rubble wall with plain iron railings, remains of lamp standard at No 4.
Built by John Russel and James Thomson, masons, on ground feued by James Jameson and originally called James Place. Formerly one of a symmetrical pair of terraces (Nos 6-9 listed separately) flanking the set back Jameson Mansion of 1783, later obscured by a late 19th century tenement and now demolished.
Other nearby listed buildings