This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9121 / 55°54'43"N
Longitude: -3.1162 / 3°6'58"W
OS Eastings: 330324
OS Northings: 669345
OS Grid: NT303693
Mapcode National: GBR 60P2.4H
Mapcode Global: WH6SV.3NCJ
Plus Code: 9C7RWV6M+VG
Entry Name: Cottage, Drumbank, Old Dalkeith Road, Edinburgh
Listing Name: Old Dalkeith Road, the Drum, Drumbank with Stables, Cottages (Outbuildings) and Walled Garden
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Last Amended: 15 April 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 365491
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB28059
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Liberton/Gilmerton
Traditional County: Midlothian
Circa 1845. Villa with unsual assemblage of classical detailing. 2-storey with single storey and attic wings. Rendered with polished ashlar dressings; base course, cill course at 1st floor, cornice and blocking course. Timber sash and case windows with 12-pane glazing pattern.
E (FRONT) ELEVATION: 2 shallow steps with stone baulstrade to central advanced bay, Ionic pilasters at 1st floor with shallow block pediment with urn breaking eaves. Door in round-arched, rusticated recess, 6-panel, 2-leaf door with fanlight over. Windows at ground floor with channelled surrounds, 1st floor windows with Egyptian-style, block pediments. Corners rusticated at ground floor, chamfered at 1st with engaged Ionic columns and block pedimented windows, wrought-iron balconies.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: plain in contrast; mouldings not continued, projecting stair tower to centre with tall stair window, window to each floor of house. Single storey piended wings have window to W, bull's-eye window to front, door on return and central gablehead to attic with window.
Peind-roofed with grey slates, harled end stacks with simple cornice.
STABLES AND COTTAGES: courtyard to S entered from E through ashlar gatepiers, comprising 2-storey stable and loft, and 3 single storey 3-bay piend-roofed cottages, random rubble with ashlar dressings, most retain original openings although some boarded up.
WALLED GARDEN: to W; random rubble walls with flat ashlar copes, triangular on-plan pavilion (dovecot) built into SW corner with door at ground floor.
Forms part of The Drum Estate A group, comprising The Drum, East Lodges (in Newton Parish Midlothian), Gardeners' Cottages, Icehouses, Mercat Cross, Stables, Steading, Waled Garden, West Lodge and the North Gatepiers all of which are listed separately.
Other nearby listed buildings