This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9529 / 55°57'10"N
Longitude: -3.2542 / 3°15'15"W
OS Eastings: 321780
OS Northings: 674025
OS Grid: NT217740
Mapcode National: GBR 88F.BK
Mapcode Global: WH6SK.ZMJT
Plus Code: 9C7RXP3W+48
Entry Name: Ravelston House, Ravelston Dykes Road, Edinburgh
Listing Name: 95 Ravelston Dykes Road, the Mary Erskine School (Formerly Ravelston House)
Listing Date: 14 July 1966
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 365551
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB28110
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Corstorphine/Murrayfield
Traditional County: Midlothian
Circa 1790; late 19th century alterations. 3-storey, 7-bay main block; 4-storey central entrance octagonal tower (N) / bow (S); 3-storey, 4-bay extension to W; E pavilion; W wing. Polished sandstone ashlar. Band course at 1st and 2nd floors.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 3-bay, 3-storey central octagonal tower; vermiculated rusticated ground floor; perron stair to 1st floor; arcaded 1st floor with Ionic columns; central door; flanking single windows; blind balustrade above; single window to each face at 2nd and 3rd floors. 2 bays, 2-storeys flanking to E; regular fenestration; 4-bay blind arcade leading to projecting, 1 1/2 storey former pavilion; central open arch and flanking windows to pavilion. 6-bay, 2-storeys flanking tower to W; regular fenestration; 4-bay arcading to basement of later extension. Projecting 1 1/2 storey, 3-bay W wing; projecting centre bay; recessed arch; Serlian window; flanking bipartite lights and single lights above; single windows at each storey to E return; garage door to W return.
E ELEVATION: 3-bay, 3-storey gable-end; central door at ground; central wall head with fire-escape and stair. 5-bay Doric colonnade to rear of pavilion link; doors in outer bays; modern infill.
S ELEVATION: 3-bay, 3-storey central bow tower; single windows to ground; perron stair and cast-iron balcony to principal floor; carved shell fountain to front of perron stair architraves to windows at 1st floor; single windows to each bay at 2nd and 3rd floors; open balustrade above. Elliptical arched recesses with tripartite lights at 1st floor flanking bow; single windows above and below. 5-bay section to W; 5-bay Doric colonnade at ground floor; single windows in 2nd and 4th bays at 1st floor; single windows in 1st, 3rd and 5th bays at 2nd floor. Projecting 1 1/2 storey, 3-bay W wing; projecting centre bay; recessed arch; Serlian window; flanking bipartite lights and single lights above; single windows at each storey to E return; 2 windows and door to W return.
W ELEVATION: U-plan courtyard; wings at N and S; round gatepiers with timber gate; 1 1/2 storey U-plan range; 5-bay central range with regular fenestration; single bay returns. Single window to off centre at 3rd floor of main house; attic dormer window above.
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Slate roof; wallhead stacks to E and W gable ends; stacks along roof.
INTERIOR: Adamesque decoration; re-decorated 1915-16. Octagonal yellow Entrance Hall at ground floor; pilastered arched doorways at SE and SW; classical fireplace on S wall with sacrificial relief to centre of mantel; classical medallions on walls. Green Room (Head's Office) to rear of hall in S bow; classical cornice with trigylphs, floral medallions, dentils and beading, some details gilded; cornice of door architrave decorated with trigylphs and urn motif; roccco sunburst at light hanging; decorative chimneypiece with urn and griffins in central section. Pink Music Room at ground floor to E; full length of house; floral medallions on cornice; egg and dart above; sunbursts at light hangings; Ionic pilasters on walls; egg and dart architrave frames on walls; vine relief in one frame; decorative chimneypiece with floral garlands. Spearmint ground floor room at W facing S (former Dining Room); decorative cornice; urn motifs to door cornices; paired Ionic columns and pilasters towards W end; fireplace with attached Ionic columns, triglyph frieze and rustic sacrificial scene in centre. Beige stairwell at W facing N; cornice of trigylph and floral medallion; open-well with timber banister.
A-Group with Ravelston Tower, Dovecot, Entrance Gateway and Boundary Walls, Garden Walls of No 37 and No 87, Queensferry Road Entrance Gate, ice-houses and 31 & 33 Ravelston Dykes Road. The old tower house at Ravelston was erected by George Foulis, who purchased the estate in 1620. The new mansion house was probably built by Alexander Keith in the late 18th century; he died in 1792. The site chosen for the new house was one that offered splendid views over Edinburgh, Corstorphine Hill and the Pentlands. The new house has a marked similarity to Robert Adam's design at Bellevue, which was built for General Scott. The interior of the house was re-done in 1915-16 by Mrs Norah Clark but the work retained the Adamesque style of the original. The new school buildings (not included in the listing) were built in 1964-7 and were designed by William H Kininmouth. This scheme was built especially for the Mary Erskine School, which moved from its Queen Street property to Ravelston House in 1967. Mary Erskine was a female merchant burgess, who lived in Edinburgh during the 17th century. In 1694 she gave a 10,000 merks to the town for the education of daughters of merchant burgesses and this was the foundation of the Mary Erskine School.
Other nearby listed buildings