This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9596 / 55°57'34"N
Longitude: -3.1837 / 3°11'1"W
OS Eastings: 326193
OS Northings: 674695
OS Grid: NT261746
Mapcode National: GBR 8QC.L4
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.2G6N
Plus Code: 9C7RXR58+RG
Entry Name: 3 Annandale Street, Edinburgh
Listing Name: 1-3 (Odd Nos) Annandale Street Including Railings
Listing Date: 19 April 1966
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 365877
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB28252
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
Robert Brown, 1825. Classical tenement block with symmetrical 5-bay, 3-storey basement and attic elevation to Annandale Street; advanced 1-bay pavilions to outer left and right. Smooth V-jointed rustication to ground floor, polished ashlar to upper floors (droved ashlar to basement; coursed rubble with dressed margins to rear). Dividing band between basement and ground floor; dividing band between ground and 1st floors; cill band to 1st floor; cill band to 2nd floor; band course and main cornice between 2nd and attic floor; eaves cornice; corniced parapet (solid with sunk panels to pavilions; balustraded to centre section. Round-arched openings to outer and centre bays to ground floor. Regular fenestration; architraved windows (with triangular pediment and consoles to pavilions) to 1st floor.
NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: to centre bay and left pavilion, timber panelled door with sunk-panelled stone doorpiece and segmental fanlight with radiating glazing pattern; to right pavilion, window in round-arched recess; steps and platt overarching basement recess to each doorway.
GLAZING etc: predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; 15-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to 1st floor. Pitched roof; grey slates; stone skews and skewputts. 1 corniced, droved ashlar ridge stack to left; 1 corniced, droved ashlar gablehead stack to right; circular cans to both stacks.
RAILINGS: to edge of basement recess and platts, stone copes (edging basement only) surmounted by distinctive ornate cast iron railings.
11-15 Annandale Street is important as a good example of earlier 19th century high quality tenement design. It also has streetscape and historical value one of the few extant elements of the Hope estate development.
Annandale Street is built on land which once formed part of Edinburgh's Botanic Gardens. These had been transferred to the west side of Leith Walk by Professor John Hope, Professor of Botany, 1763. In 1820, the botanic gardens were moved again to their present site at Inverleith. Professor Hope died in 1786; Ainslie's map of 1804 shows the area to the west and south of the botanic garden to be the property of 'Mrs Dr Hope'. By 1817, the land is marked on Kirkwood's map as 'the property of Dr Hopes representatives', suggesting that his wife had since died and the land been inherited by his children, of which he had three sons and one daughter. In 1824-5, Sasines show that the lands were being feued for building to an agreed scheme by a Major John Hope (probably Professor Hope's second son). It seems likely that he was influenced by the success of the neighbouring Gayfield estate and the early popularity of the more recent Calton scheme, commissioned Robert Brown to design a scheme for his lands (Brown had already designed terraces for Hope at Clerk Street and Rankeillor Street, on land also inherited from Professor Hope). However, like the Calton scheme, the Hope scheme suffered badly from the rise in popularity of the West End, and very little of Brown's scheme was actually built. Only the south section of Haddington Place was completed, Annandale Street itself was left uncompleted to the NW end, and the only other street of the scheme to begin building, Hope (now Hopetoun) Crescent, has only two pairs of houses built to Browns designs. The projected square to the north of Hope Crescent was not started or even named.
The naming of Annandale Street is a reference to the Hopetoun branch of the Hope family, to whom the Annandale estates and earldom of Annandale had passed in 1792.
Other nearby listed buildings