History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

North Corner Range, Drybrough's Brewery, Duddingston Road West, Edinburgh

A Category B Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9349 / 55°56'5"N

Longitude: -3.1428 / 3°8'34"W

OS Eastings: 328704

OS Northings: 671901

OS Grid: NT287719

Mapcode National: GBR 8ZN.W0

Mapcode Global: WH6ST.P3M2

Plus Code: 9C7RWVM4+WV

Entry Name: North Corner Range, Drybrough's Brewery, Duddingston Road West, Edinburgh

Listing Name: Duddingston Road West, Craigmillar Brewery

Listing Date: 29 November 1988

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 367142

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB28699

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Town: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: Portobello/Craigmillar

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Leith

Description

Brewery re-located here in 1892, a move made necessary by railway development in the area of the present Calton Road. Buildings mostly designed and erected by R Hamilton Paterson & Co of Edinburgh, Brewers architects and engineers. Several ranges, alterations (including blocked windows) and additions; near to south end of complex a gabled tall and long MALTBARN with loft dormers and axial ventilators to alternate bays; top 2 floors were barley lofts, the lower containing maltbins and steeps; pair pyramidal-roofed KILNS at east are integral; snecked rock-faced ashlar, droved dressings, continuous cill bands at 2 levels; slated roofs, distinctive ventilators to kiln roofs; parallel, and to north, the BREWHOUSE block, 4-storey and part now roofless, similar materials, but part with cast-iron lintels; range to east not original, open at ground, wide lintels on stone piers, top floor of framed construction with multi-paned glazed panels, longitudinal roof ventilator; fronting Duddingston Road West (ie east) a block said to have originally been Blyth and Cameron's brewery by Peter L Henderson 1897; long range with symmetrical 2-storey office at south end; again, similar material including cast-iron lintels, but dressings are contrasting red ashlar; Scots renaissance details, centre doorcase to office, iron-barred brewery openings; tall red brick CHIMNEY STALK heightened in yellow brick; low range at north built hard against railway line.

Statement of Interest

The first documented Edinburgh brewer named Dryburgh died 1750 and is buried in the Canongate Kirkyard; the firm was registered as a company in 1895; and production here ceased on Jan 23rd 1987.

The Craigmillar area had long been noted for brewing; Dryburgh were the second firm to move there in the late 19th century many others subsequently began operating in this area which became one of the foremost brewing area in the UK. A tenement built to house workers and a house for the head brewer both lie to the south of the site and are of some interest; both lie within the curtilage of the brewery.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.