This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.976 / 55°58'33"N
Longitude: -3.2037 / 3°12'13"W
OS Eastings: 324981
OS Northings: 676541
OS Grid: NT249765
Mapcode National: GBR 8L5.K8
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.R2M2
Entry Name: 66 East Trinity Road, Mary Cottage, with Boundary Wall, Railings and Gates
Listing Date: 16 June 1998
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 370386
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB29859
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forth
Traditional County: Midlothian
1823-4. 2-storey, 3-bay classical house. Coursed sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings, random rubble to rear. Eaves cornice and blocking course, raised at centre. Rusticated quoins. Architraved windows.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: regularly fenestrated. Centre bay slightly advanced; timber panelled door with rectangular fanlight above in (painted) Ionic columned doorpiece with entablature and blocking course.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: bowed stair tower with tall window at centre; balcony with decorative cast-iron railings above with French door from slate-hung dormer in attic. Doors to right and left at ground floor.
12 pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slates. Stone coped skews and gablehead stacks with circular cans.
BOUNDARY WALLS, RAILINGS AND GATES: stone coped coursed rubble boundary wall, higher at either side, with pedestrian gate to right and carriage gate to left. Cast-iron railings and gate with spear heads and Greek key pattern.
Wallace says that the ground for the house was feued from a lawyer named Alexander Scot in 1823 by the builder, George Gunn, and that the house was sold to its first owner, William Paterson, the following year. The lands of Trinity Mains Farm, which include this part of East Trinity Road, are shown on Kirkwood's 1817 map belonging to A Scot Esquire, and laid out for feuing.
The retention of the traditional Scottish stair tower is unusual in a classical house design. In this the rear elevation of Mary Cottage resembles Laverockbank Cottage, 40 East Trinity Road.
Other nearby listed buildings