This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9935 / 55°59'36"N
Longitude: -3.7679 / 3°46'4"W
OS Eastings: 289823
OS Northings: 679253
OS Grid: NS898792
Mapcode National: GBR 1K.VKG9
Mapcode Global: WH5R0.3M14
Plus Code: 9C7RX6VJ+CR
Entry Name: Sundials, Callendar House, Callendar Park, Falkirk
Listing Name: Callendar Park, Callendar House Sundial
Listing Date: 25 October 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 372463
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB31238
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Falkirk South
Traditional County: Stirlingshire
Circa 1700. (Arms and initials of Earl of Linlithgow succeeded 1695) Square shaft and octagonal dialhead all with hollow dials, 4' 1 high; later copper dial by Andrew Adie on top now removed.
A-Group comprises 'Callendar House' (HB 31236), and the associated 'Glenbrae Lodge and Gates' (HB 31235), 'Callendar House, Small Bridge on South Axis of House' (HB 31237), 'Stable Court, Including Cobbled Yard' (HB 31239), 'Stable Block Including Dovecot, Cobbled Yard, Implement Shed, Boundary Walls and Gates' (HB 46544), 'Factor's House' (HB 46545), 'Dry Bridge' (HB 31240), 'Mausoleum' (HB 31241), 'Atrium House (Former Gardener's Cottage), Including Gatepiers' (HB 50224), 'Kennels' (HB 50894), 'Policy Walls' (HB 50896) and 'Wellhead' (HB 50897), see separate entries.
Callendar House and its associated buildings are the grandest and most prominent group of buildings in Falkirk. The Lands of Callendar were granted to the Livingston family in the mid-14th century, and they retained possession of the estate for nearly 400 years. The estate was forfeited to the Government after the Jacobite rising in 1715, who in turn sold on the estate. Callendar came to be bought by William Forbes in the late 18th century, a copper merchant from London, who continued to develop the mansion and the estate. It was the Forbes family who brought the celebrated architect David Hamilton to work on Callendar, and they were also instrumental benefactors to the development of Falkirk as a modern 19th century town. The estate remained in the possession of the Forbes family until 1963, when it was sold to the now defunct Falkirk Burgh Council. The Burgh Council were responsible for planning the high-rise housing within Callendar Park, and also the development of the walled garden as a College of Education (now the Callendar Business Park). However they did no work on the House, which remained derelict and boarded-up until 1997, when it was restored by the present Council.
Other nearby listed buildings