This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 57.6086 / 57°36'31"N
Longitude: -3.6162 / 3°36'58"W
OS Eastings: 303530
OS Northings: 858777
OS Grid: NJ035587
Mapcode National: GBR K8FM.48C
Mapcode Global: WH5HB.F07Z
Plus Code: 9C9RJ95M+FG
Entry Name: Castlehill Church, High Street, Forres
Listing Name: High Street, Castlehill Church
Listing Date: 30 March 1983
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 373032
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB31721
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forres
Traditional County: Morayshire
John Rhind, 1870-71. Decorated Gothic; cruciform plan.
Coursed, stugged rubble, tooled ashlar dressings, slated
roof. N gable to High street with large decorated and Gothic
window flanked by square porches with pointed arched doors,
moulded reveals and nook shafts; Y-tracery windows on return
elevation. Decorated parapet and angle pinnacles.
5-bay nave with paired lancets in aisles and geometric
traceried clerestory windows with gabled and finialled heads.
Tall transepts with decorated windows, single bay chancel.
N gable with decorated head and flanking moulded octagonal
buttresses rising through the parapet to form shafted and
gabletted pinnacles. Slate roof.
Originally United Presbyterian Church. Now converted
internally to serve as St Laurence Church Halls.
Corner site with Castlehill Road.
Former Item 107 (1983 Revised List)