History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gates And Gate Piers, Woodlands, Windyknowe Road, Galashiels

A Category C Listed Building in Galashiels, Scottish Borders

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.6188 / 55°37'7"N

Longitude: -2.8192 / 2°49'8"W

OS Eastings: 348506

OS Northings: 636440

OS Grid: NT485364

Mapcode National: GBR 83RG.GN

Mapcode Global: WH7WN.N1RC

Plus Code: 9C7VJ59J+G8

Entry Name: Gates And Gate Piers, Woodlands, Windyknowe Road, Galashiels

Listing Name: Windyknowe Road, Woodlands Gatelodge, Former Coach House and Rose Cottage Including Entrance Gateway

Listing Date: 25 October 1990

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 373404

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32003

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Galashiels

County: Scottish Borders

Town: Galashiels

Electoral Ward: Galashiels and District

Traditional County: Selkirkshire

Find accommodation in
Galashiels

Description

Group of buildings comprising early 19th century cottage (Rose Cottage) and later gate lodge by George Henderson, 1896, linked by 1896 coach house and stable block forming one roughly L-plan building of three separate styles on steeply sloping site. Entrance gateway linked to E.

ROSE COTTAGE: single storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan plain classical style cottage extending into later former coach house to W. Slightly advanced central bay with blocking course above with blind panel doorpiece (now window); window to S altered to form door; later 20th century piended entrance porch to N. Random rubble; raised sandstone margins and strip quoins. Ashlar base course; eaves band course. 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Low-pitch piended graduated slate roofs; corniced ashlar stacks with tall octagonal clay cans. 20th century roof lights and 15-pane glazed door to S.

GATE LODGE: 1896. Single storey square-plan gate lodge with hexagonal room to W. Coursed bull-faced sandstone; smooth rybats; angled base course; angled stone cills. Timber bracketed overhanging eaves; timber sash and case windows; timber boarded door. Pitched slate roofs; corniced bullfaced wallhead stacks with octagonal cans.

FORMER COACH HOUSE: 1896. Coach house linking gate lodge and Rose Cottage. low double-pitched slate roof with overhanging timber bracketed eaves; advanced gabled bay to S; high level small squared windows; stepped string course. Four centred pointed open archway with staged side buttresses to open roofed courtyard to W (entrance to Rose Cottage); stepped parapet wall to left with circular tower housing wc to NW; dated (1895) wrought iron corona weathervane. Lower crenellated walled storage area to N. Triangular eaves ventilators to N. Large timber sliding partition doors on cast-iron runners to interior courtyard; margined timber boarded door piece to NW room with timber and cast-iron stable stall divider.

ENTRANCE GATEWAY: curved, stepped and corniced side walls with depressed pointed arched openings. Coursed bullfaced sandstone. Base course; string course; conical gatepier caps. Coped enclosing wall with arched gate to side.

Statement of Interest

A Group with Wooodlands House (see separate listing). This range of buildings and entrance gateway form an important grouping associated with the adjacent A-listed Woodlands House for which they were built as gate lodges and stables. The three conjoined buildings are in distinctive and different styles however together they form an interesting composition, contributing to the overall setting of the main house. Rose Cottage and the coach house are under the same ownership, separate from the Gate Lodge.

George Henderson (1846-1905) was of the prominent Edinburgh firm of Hay and Henderson who carried out varied commissions in Galashiels in late 19th century of different architectural styles. Other buildings by the firm in the town, that are also listed, include Galashiels Public Library, Old Parish and St. Paul's Church and St Peter's Church Hall.

Category changed from B to C(S) 2006.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.