This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8682 / 55°52'5"N
Longitude: -4.2761 / 4°16'34"W
OS Eastings: 257667
OS Northings: 666229
OS Grid: NS576662
Mapcode National: GBR 0GJ.85
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.8RZR
Plus Code: 9C7QVP9F+7G
Entry Name: Free Church College, 31, 33, 35 Lynedoch Street, Glasgow
Listing Name: 31, 33, 35 Lynedoch Street and 92, 96 Woodside Terrace Lane, Former Trinity College
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 373619
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32171
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hillhead
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Charles Wilson, architect, 1856, college and adjacent church (to Lynedoch street) latter gutted by fire in 1903 and incorporated into college as library in 1909. Refurbished interior by D Thomson and Colin Menzies 1909. 2-storey building with tall Lombardic towers. Polished ashlar, stugged at basement, channelled at ground at door to former church and ground floor pilasters. Continuous bands of Vitruvian scrolls at 1st floor forms base for continuous plinth below upper storey windows. Heavy cornice with dentil moulding and frieze with wreaths; deep plain parapet.
Elevation to Lynedoch Place; 5-bay with advanced channelled centre bay with monumental doorpiece, rising above latter to square campanile. Arched doorpiece with blind fanlight supported on bracketted reveals and surmounted by corbelled balcony with solid and balustraded parapet. All windows round arched with channelled architraves at ground; 1st floor windows in rectangular recess with double pilasters and elaborately carved spandrels. Tower with small corbelled balconies at 2nd floor level (all elevations) to tall arched pilastered window. Rising above are groups of 3 elongated arched openings deeply recessed and moulded. Upper cornice boldly corbelled out to parapet with cast-iron balcony and central bell-house with bracketted cornice.
Elevation to Lynedoch Street; 5 western bays detailed as above. 5-bay advanced pavilion to eastern end (former church). Central 3-bays advanced; paired engaged Corinthian columns at former gallery level support pediment. Ground floor windows round-arched; at centre bay bipartite with columnar mullion. Flanking pediment bays containing arched doorpieces rise to square towers, smaller though similar in detail to main tower. Top corbel table surmounted by stone parapet of open balustrade linking piers at angles, with obelisk pinnacles over.
Main elevations surrounded by cast-iron railings with square ashlar piers. The east pavilion has 2 flights of stone steps rising symmetrically to raised platt with parapet and piers supporting decorative cast-iron lamp brackets (McFarlane & Co). Retaining wall of steps bull-faced with ashlar coping. Rear elevation to Woodside Terrace Lane in 3 irregular main sections; all ashlar polished, droved or rusticated.
Part of Woodlands Hill A Group.
Other nearby listed buildings