This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8736 / 55°52'24"N
Longitude: -4.275 / 4°16'29"W
OS Eastings: 257760
OS Northings: 666827
OS Grid: NS577668
Mapcode National: GBR 0GG.H7
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.9MKM
Plus Code: 9C7QVPFG+C2
Entry Name: St Mary's Episcopal Cathedral, 300 Great Western Road, Glasgow
Listing Name: 300 Great Western Road/Holyrood Crescent St Mary's Episcopal Cathedral
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 373726
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32198
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hillhead
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
George Gilbert Scott, architect, 1871-8. Spire by John Oldrid Scott, completed 1893. Cruciform aisled church with early English detailing, simple tracery. Stugged and snecked ashlar wallings, polished freestone ashlar margins. 5-bay nave with angle buttressed aisles; round clerestory windows linked by blind arcade. West front: 3 tall lancets above pointed-arch portal surmounted by 3 gablets; recessed paired cusp-head doors. 5 plate tracery aisle windows. Corbel course at eaves; slate roofs. Tower in SE angle; 3 main stages with angle buttresses. Lowest stage plain with lancet windows; 2nd stage with lancets in groups of 3. 3rd stage with plate tracery louvered openings; deep band of ornamental diaper work in spandrels. Above this, corbel table with parapet and bartizans at angles. Above rises facetted spire; lowest part with slender window lucarnes at cardinal points. At angles, lucarnes with sculptured figures of saints. Spire tapers to a point under ball finial and metal cross. Interior: 5-arch arcade on piers/clustered columns separate nave from aisles. Open timber roof; trusses rest on engaged stone columns. Crossing with fan-vaulted roof. Octagonal ashlar pulpit supported on polished granite colonnettes; font on marble base, also with octagonal ashlar basin on polished granite colonnettes; elaborate carved oak canopy over font. Organ in S transept; wrought-iron chancel screen. Carved oak reredos by R Lorimer with painted panels by Phoebe Traquair, circa 1920-21. Stained glass, circa 1880 John Hardman and Co London and Birmingham.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Raised to Cathedral status in 1907. Completed at a cost of $35,000.
Other nearby listed buildings