This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8745 / 55°52'28"N
Longitude: -4.2781 / 4°16'41"W
OS Eastings: 257564
OS Northings: 666942
OS Grid: NS575669
Mapcode National: GBR 0FF.VW
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.8L1W
Plus Code: 9C7QVPFC+RP
Entry Name: Lansdowne United Presbyterian Church, 416 And 420 Great Western Road, Glasgow
Listing Name: 416 and 420 Great Western Road/433 North Woodside Road Lansdowne Parish Church (Church of Scotland)
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 373738
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32205
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hillhead
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
John Honeyman, architect, 1863. Sculptor; John Mossman. T-plan early English apsidal church with tower and spire at SE. Coursed rubble with polished ashlar margins; slate roofs. West front: angle buttresses rising to columned pinnacles. Elaborate pointed arch porch with dog-tooth moulding: deeply recessed paired doors under moulded pointed arch supported on nook shafts of polished granite, with stiff leaf ashlar capitals. Porch flanked by deep buttresses with blind arcading continuing across to gabletted angle buttresses, gablet with roundel above arcading between buttresses. Stepped triple lancet above. Low pseudo-aisles, also butressed and with columned pinnacles. Transepts with 3 lancet windows over blind arcade. Tower in 3 stages: 1st stage buttressed with tripartite window over door; 2nd with 2-light louvered openings. 3rd stage more elaborate: plate tracery windows with gables, rising into spire; octagonal piers rise to pinnacles at angles. Tall very slender spire with niches and band of diaper work midway. Church surrounded by low ashlar wall with decorative cast-iron railings; intermediate gabled ashlar piers and gatepiers. Interior: aisled corridors open through doors into the main body of the church. Gallery on 3 sides with panelled front supported on wooden brackets, and at transepts on cast-iron clustered columns. Ribbed tunnel-vaulted ceiling supported on stone corbels. Clustered shafts of red marble with carved capitals and corbels support ribs of vaulted apse ceiling. Altar: marble, coloured marble inlay and colonnette shafts. Oak panelled apse with War Memorial triptych by Evelyn Beale 1923; 3 apse windows by Ward and Hughes of London 1865. Transept windows by Alfred Webster 1913 and Gordon Webster 1950-60. Memorial brass plaque to Alfred Webster in S transept. Medallion portrait to Rev John Eadie by Mossman 1879, in vestibule. Hanging brass lamps circa 1920.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Originally UP Church.
Upgraded B to A 20.5.86
Other nearby listed buildings