This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8664 / 55°51'59"N
Longitude: -4.2755 / 4°16'31"W
OS Eastings: 257698
OS Northings: 666035
OS Grid: NS576660
Mapcode National: GBR 0GJ.CS
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.9T83
Plus Code: 9C7QVP8F+HQ
Entry Name: 5 Newton Place, Glasgow
Listing Name: 1-27 (Inclusive Nos) Newton Place Gatepiers and Retaining Wall to Sauchiehall Street
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 373841
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32230
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
George Smith, architect, 1837. Long astylar terrace; 3 bays per house. 2 storeys, attics and basement; shallow advanced 6-bay, 3-storey centre and terminal pavilions. Painted ashlar, channelled at ground, with bold voussoirs over ground floor windows. Steps oversailing basement to tall corniced doorpieces (paired at pavilions) with ramped architraves and fanlights. All upper windows architraved; ramped and lugged at 1st floor; corniced and aproned at 1st floor pavilions. Sash windows; plate-glass glazing; some 4-pane glazing at pavilions. Individual cast-iron balconies to 1st floor windows. Full-width balconies at pavilions supported on cast-iron brackets, (balconies removed at Nos 1 and 27). Continuous band-course over ground; eaves cornice; deep plain parapet; blocking course at pavilions. Axial stacks; octagonal flues below roof ridge, plain above; slate roofs.
Cast-iron railings to basement and steps. Cast-iron lamp standards. 4-bay flank to Elderslie Street (No 1); 5-bay flank to Woodside Crescent (No 27) detailed as pavilions but with consoled cornices to 1st floor windows. Rear elevation; full-height projecting square bays near W-end. Nos 4 and 13 have lost architraves. Nos 24 and 25 with modern doors and railings. No 27; circa 1903 curved single storey smoking room addition to rear by H E Clifford. Painted ashlar walling with evenly spaced pilasters. Eaves cornice and roof balustrade with die pedestals.
South side of carriageway bordering Sauchiehall Street; low ashlar boundary/retaining wall with terminal ashlar gatepiers.
Originally Caledonia Place.
Part of Woodlands Hill A Group.