History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

1-27 (Inclusive Nos) Newton Place Gatepiers and Retaining Wall to Sauchiehall Street

A Category B Listed Building in Glasgow, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8666 / 55°51'59"N

Longitude: -4.2726 / 4°16'21"W

OS Eastings: 257882

OS Northings: 666051

OS Grid: NS578660

Mapcode National: GBR 0GJ.ZQ

Mapcode Global: WH3P2.BSNY

Entry Name: 1-27 (Inclusive Nos) Newton Place Gatepiers and Retaining Wall to Sauchiehall Street

Listing Date: 15 December 1970

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 373861

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32230

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Maryhill

Description

George Smith, architect, 1837. Long astylar terrace; 3 bays per house. 2 storeys, attics and basement; shallow advanced 6-bay, 3-storey centre and terminal pavilions. Painted ashlar, channelled at ground, with bold voussoirs over ground floor windows. Steps oversailing basement to tall corniced doorpieces (paired at pavilions) with ramped architraves and fanlights. All upper windows architraved; ramped and lugged at 1st floor; corniced and aproned at 1st floor pavilions. Sash windows; plate-glass glazing; some 4-pane glazing at pavilions. Individual cast-iron balconies to 1st floor windows. Full-width balconies at pavilions supported on cast-iron brackets, (balconies removed at Nos 1 and 27). Continuous band-course over ground; eaves cornice; deep plain parapet; blocking course at pavilions. Axial stacks; octagonal flues below roof ridge, plain above; slate roofs.

Cast-iron railings to basement and steps. Cast-iron lamp standards. 4-bay flank to Elderslie Street (No 1); 5-bay flank to Woodside Crescent (No 27) detailed as pavilions but with consoled cornices to 1st floor windows. Rear elevation; full-height projecting square bays near W-end. Nos 4 and 13 have lost architraves. Nos 24 and 25 with modern doors and railings. No 27; circa 1903 curved single storey smoking room addition to rear by H E Clifford. Painted ashlar walling with evenly spaced pilasters. Eaves cornice and roof balustrade with die pedestals.

South side of carriageway bordering Sauchiehall Street; low ashlar boundary/retaining wall with terminal ashlar gatepiers.

Statement of Interest

Originally Caledonia Place.

Part of Woodlands Hill A Group.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.