This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8698 / 55°52'11"N
Longitude: -4.2784 / 4°16'42"W
OS Eastings: 257528
OS Northings: 666419
OS Grid: NS575664
Mapcode National: GBR 0FH.SK
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.7QWH
Plus Code: 9C7QVP9C+WJ
Entry Name: 8 Park Circus, Glasgow
Listing Name: 1-29 (Inclusive Nos) Park Circus and 9 Park Street South
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 373909
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32238
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hillhead
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Tagged with: Building
Charles Wilson, architect; designed 1855-6; Nos 1-16 built 1857-9; Nos 18-22 built 1861-3 (No 22 by J Boucher 1872); Nos 23-29 built 1872-3. Symmetrically arranged circus of astylar Italianate terraces around oval garden, intersected by Park Gate (E), Park Street South, and Park Circus Place (W). 3-bays per house; 3-storeys and basement. Shallow advanced central (9-bay) and terminal (3-bay) pavilions. Polished ashlar, partly stonecleaned, rusticated at ground with vermiculated margins and smooth keystones. Continuous band/string courses between floors; Vitruvian scroll band at 1st floor (much repaired at Nos 23-29) paterae at eaves course. Modillion cornice, blocking course. Steps oversailing basements to tripartite doorpieces with glazed sidelights. All ground floor openings shouldered. Upper windows all architraved with mutule cornice at 1st floor.
Plate glass or 4-pane glazing to timber sash and case windows. Axial stacks, slate roofs. Good cast-iron railings to basement and steps.
INTERIORS: much fine interior work survives including Corinthian screens to main rooms; cornicing and ceiling rose work; fine timber panelling and fire places; Ionic arched screens to halls; elaborate cast-iron balusters to stairs; carved timber newel posts. No 18 with fine panelled drawing room and decorative hall by William Leiper, 1891. Particularly exceptional interior at No 22 by James Boucher: Art Nouveau front door; hall with groin vaulted mosaic cupolas supported on marble Corinthian columns. Early Renaissance-style stair rising in tunnel vaults. Many elaborate art nouveau fireplaces of wood and marble, leaded glass cupola over stair. Billiard room by Salmon, Son and Gillespie 1905.
Flanks: No 9 Park Street South; 2-bay elevation with billiard room extension to rear. Polished ashlar, channelled at ground. Canted oriel window to 1st floor with cast-iron balustrade over.
No 23, flank to Park Street South; advanced 3-bay blocks; polished ashlar, channelled at ground. 1st floor window consoled and corniced; corbelled oriel window to Southernmost bay; multi-pane glazing. Paired stack linked by cornice; flanking segmentally pedimented
dormer. Mews and billiard room to rear with balustraded parapet. Similarly detailed mews to 22 Park Circus (No 9 Park Street South).
Associated mews buildings and boundary walls to rear fronting Park Circus Lane and Park Terrace Lane.
Part of the Woodlands Hill 'A Group' including Park Terrace, Park Circus Place and Park Quadrant, Lyndoch Street and Lyndoch Crescent (see separate listings).
Outstanding mid 19th century circus of terraced Italianate townhouses constructed on a monumental scale around an oval plan, forming the centre-piece of the Kelvingrove Park and Woodlands area of the city. Much exceptional interior detailing, particularly at Nos 18-22.
The associated former stable mews and boundary walls fronting Park Terrace Lane and Park Circus Lane to the rear of the Park Circus terraces are an integral part of the functional planned design, adding to the wider architectural and historic interest of the group.
Nos 1-16 are shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1856-9.
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.