This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8722 / 55°52'19"N
Longitude: -4.2844 / 4°17'3"W
OS Eastings: 257167
OS Northings: 666695
OS Grid: NS571666
Mapcode National: GBR 0DG.LQ
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.5N2N
Plus Code: 9C7QVPC8+V7
Entry Name: Anderston Free Church, 9 University Avenue, Glasgow
Listing Name: University of Glasgow, Gilmorehill Campus Building E9, 9 University Avenue, Gilmorehill Centre
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 374019
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32251
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hillhead
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
James Sellars of Campbell Douglas & Sellars, 1876-78; alterations by Keppie, Henderson & Partners, 1961-63; converted to Gilmorehill Centre by SBT Keppie 1996-7. Normandy Gothic former church. Stugged coursed ashlar, polished ashlar dressings.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: Nave; low 5-bay aisles. To W 5 tall gabled 3-light plate-tracery windows over aisles; small lancets in aisles. To E 4-clerestory windows divided by flying buttresses, lower walling also heavily buttressed. To S single storey halls at right angles to main body of church. Pointed arch doorpiece in re-entrant angle. Truncated tower rises only to 2 stages and was never completed. Pointed arch entrance with nook shafts. 2 leaded glass windows at base of tower.
Grey slate roofs.
INTERIOR (seen 1988): much altered, few original fittings survive. 5-arch arcade supported on piers separates nave from aisles. Open timber roof to subsidiary halls. False suspended ceiling to main hall.
Designed by James Sellars, architect of the main building of the 1888 Glasgow International Exhibition (a temporary structure in the nearby Kelvingrove Park). The building occupies a prominent corner site.
Originally built as Anderston Free Church. The Dean of Guild plans of 1877 show a proposed tall and slender tower, but it was never completed. Later the building became the Hillhead United Free Church, then it was used as examination halls by the University of Glasgow before being converted to its current use in 1996-97 for the Department of Theatre, Film and Television Studies. The insertion of 7 levels within the stone shell allowed for the creation of a 150-seat cinema, theatre and rehearsal space, television studios, sound recording booths, research facilities, teaching areas and offices.
Formerly listed as '9 University Avenue, Gilmorehill Hall'.
List description updated as part of review of the University of Glasgow Hillhead Campus, 2011. The building number is derived from the University of Glasgow Main Campus Map (2007), as published on the University's website www.gla.ac.uk.
Other nearby listed buildings