This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8695 / 55°52'10"N
Longitude: -4.275 / 4°16'30"W
OS Eastings: 257741
OS Northings: 666371
OS Grid: NS577663
Mapcode National: GBR 0GH.GQ
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.9QJS
Entry Name: 133 Woodlands Road, Church of St Jude's Congregation (Free Presbyterian Church)
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 374052
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32262
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hillhead
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
John Burnet Snr architect, 1874-5. French Gothic church
and halls; church with 4-bay aisles, nave and tower in
N W angle. Stugged coursed ashlar, stonecleaned; plate
tracery windows: many ornate features: gargoyle
spouts, grotesque corbels supporting pinnacles etc.
Clerestory windows set in gables at right angles to main
roof, above paired cusped lancets. West front:
pointed-arch entrance under gable with finial, flanked
by stepped buttresses; nook shafts and moulded reveals.
Paired doors with roll-moulded heads and dividing
trumeau. Above, paired pointed-arch 2-light windows
with simple geometric tracery; single round window in
gable. Tower in 3-stages with engaged stair turret to W.
Door in N side under pointed arch with moulded reveals.
Upper stage with paired lancet openings. Facetted spire
rises from tower; at base columned pinnacle-niches with
figures of saints at angles; lucarnes between.
Galleried interior: slender cast-iron columns with
decorative capitals support pointed arch arcade
separating 4-bay aisles from wide nave. Gallery to 3
sides with cusped panel front. Supported to W by
wooden corbels and to N and S by aisle arcades. Carved
oak reredos with organ and pulpit incorporated. Tie beam
roof with flat decorative timber ceiling supported on
wooden corbels; vaulting over side galleries. Vestry and
hall to East.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Formerly
Woodlands Church (U.P.)
Other nearby listed buildings