This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.885 / 55°53'6"N
Longitude: -4.3337 / 4°20'1"W
OS Eastings: 254129
OS Northings: 668225
OS Grid: NS541682
Mapcode National: GBR 02B.L4
Mapcode Global: WH3P1.DBKT
Plus Code: 9C7QVMP8+2G
Entry Name: Jordanhill Training College, 45 Chamberlain Road, Glasgow
Listing Name: 45 Chamberlain Road, Jordanhill Training College Demonstration School, Lodge, Gates, Gatepiers and Quadrant Walls
Listing Date: 10 July 1989
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 374221
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32303
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Victoria Park
Traditional County: Renfrewshire
Tagged with: School building
All windows square-headed with metal frame pivots with six-pane glazing pattern. To inner 13-bays first floor windows with raised margins, bracketted cills and lintels. First and tenth bays are blind to second floor with moulded detail and cartouche. Band course over ground and first. Moulded band at lintel level between second floor windows and mutule main cornice at central block. Lower sections with deep parapet over first and four-pane dormer windows inset. Piended slate roofs. Central square-plan cupola with Ionic pilasters at angles. 13-bay, two-storey flanks; similarly detailed with central corniced entrance. Rear elevation with four-bay advanced pavilions; central block with windows round-arched or square-headed and arranged in pairs. Second floor windows full height with rooflights for art studio. Internal plan with central corridor and two well-stairs.
Lodge: tall single-storey and attic rectangular plan. Red sandstone base and band course, harled with bold timber cornice, slate roof, central stack.
Gatepiers and quadrant walls: channelled and corniced piers with shaped caps supported on corner blocks, wrought iron gates; channelled quadrant walls.
Honeyman, Keppie and Mackintosh won the commission for the design of a new Demonstration School (for teaching practice) in 1911. This was one of three buildings for the Glasgow Provincial Committe for the Training of Teachers that were all built on the same site at Jordanhill in the northwest of Glasgow.
Mackintosh left the practice during the competition phase for the Demonstration School. Mackintosh may have had some involvement in the competition work and the design of the linear-plan may have been inspired by his plan for Scotland Street School (LB33534) and of other Glasgow Board schools of the early 20th century. However, there is no evidence to indicate that Mackintosh made any direct contribution to the winning design. (Mackintosh Architecture)
Charles Rennie Mackintosh (1868-1928) was born in Glasgow and is regarded internationally as one of the leading architects and designers of the 20th century. He became known as a pioneer of Modernism, although his architecture took much inspiration from Scottish Baronial, and Scottish and English vernacular forms and their reinterpretation. The synthesis of modern and traditional forms led to a distinctive form of Scottish arts and crafts design, known as 'The Glasgow Style'. This was developed in collaboration with contemporaries Herbert McNair, and the sisters Francis and Margaret Macdonald (who would become his wife in 1900), who were known as 'The Four'. The Glasgow Style is now synonymous with Mackintosh and the City of Glasgow.
Mackintosh's work is wide-ranging and includes public, educational and religious buildings to private houses, interior decorative schemes and sculptures. He is associated with over 150 design projects, ranging from being the principal designer, to projects he was involved with as part of the firm of John Honeyman & Keppie (Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh from 1901). The most important work during this partnership was the Glasgow School of Art (LB33105), which was built in two phases from 1897 and culminated in the outstanding library of 1907.
Other key works include the Willow Tea Rooms (LB33173), the Glasgow Herald Building (now The Lighthouse) (LB33087) and Hill House (LB34761), which display the modern principles of the German concept of 'Gesamtkunstwerk', meaning the 'synthesis of the arts'. This is something that Mackintosh applied completely to all of his work, from the exterior to the internal decorative scheme and the furniture and fittings.
Mackintosh left Glasgow in 1914, setting up practice in London the following year. Later he and Margaret moved to France, where until his death, his artistic output largely turned to textile design and watercolours.
Formerly a B group with Jordanhill Training College, 76 Southbrae Drive (LB32339).
Listed building record revised in 2019.
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings