This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8843 / 55°53'3"N
Longitude: -4.3029 / 4°18'10"W
OS Eastings: 256052
OS Northings: 668086
OS Grid: NS560680
Mapcode National: GBR 08B.TC
Mapcode Global: WH3P1.WC5B
Plus Code: 9C7QVMMW+PR
Entry Name: 17 Cleveden Road, Kelvinside, Glasgow
Listing Name: 17-45 (Odd Nos) Cleveden Road and 1-9b Beaconsfield Road
Listing Date: 10 November 1993
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 374244
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32315
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Partick East/Kelvindale
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
1883. Probably H and D Barclay. Very long curving terrace of buff sandstone two-and-a-half and three storey and basement houses. Polished ashlar (some houses painted: some linostone). Central and seconds advanced and raised to three full storeys and basement; intervening sections two storeys with mansarded attics and stone pedimented dormers. Plain windows without architraves; continuous consoled balcony with cast iron work broken at central window of regular canted bays with cast iron brattishing. Cornice at first floor to lower sections and to raised ends and centre. Cast iron railings to basement areas and to ground floor flying staircases. Mostly sash and case plate glass windows. Slate roof. Corniced axial and wallhead chimney stacks.
INTERIORS: not seen (except No.31) but apparently with good period details.
INTERIOR, NO.31 CLEVEDEN ROAD: Glasgow Style refurbishment circa 1900, probably by George Walton. 1st floor study with plaster groin vault, padded leather walls with stylised timber framing; leaded glass fitted cabinets; fine chimneypiece redolent with 1st class Glasgow Style detailing, incised work and beaten copper panels. Fine chimneypiece to entrance hall; stylised panelling to stair well. Stained glass to stair and study.
INTERIOR, NO. 33 CLEVEDEN ROAD: Including large decorative stained glass window, possible by Stephen Adam. Detail panels to lower section with allegorical figures representing sculpture and music.
INTERIOR, NO.41 CLEVEDON ROAD: Refurbishment by William Leiper. Features of particular note include ornate timber panelling, marble chimneypiece with carved timber overmantel. Series of stained glass by David Gauld.
The terrace was formerly known as the Montgomerie Quadrant, Ian Paterson, GDC, has linked the redecoration to the occupant, Leonard Gow Jr of Allan C Gow and Co, shipping firm, for whose brother, John Barnett Gow, George Walton had worked at Ledcameroch, Bearsden, 1897. It thus seems highly probable that Walton was responsible for the work at 31 Cleveden Road which survives in almost pristine condition.
Information regarding the interior of 33 Cleveden Road added 2009.
Other nearby listed buildings