This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8892 / 55°53'20"N
Longitude: -4.3212 / 4°19'16"W
OS Eastings: 254925
OS Northings: 668660
OS Grid: NS549686
Mapcode National: GBR 058.3N
Mapcode Global: WH3P1.L7HM
Plus Code: 9C7QVMQH+MG
Entry Name: Ascot Cinema, 1544 Great Western Road, Glasgow
Listing Name: 1544 Great Western Road, Formerly County Bingo Hall and Ascot Cinema
Listing Date: 10 July 1989
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 374287
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32337
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Partick East/Kelvindale
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
C J McNair, architect, 1939, Super cinema converted to flats with façade retention 2001. Symmetrical stepped elevation to Great Western Road. Curved three-quarter height stair towers to outer bays. Recessed 5-bay central block with entrance to ground and windows to 1st. Rendered walling, all white painted with some exposed band courses. Cream faience tiling to stair towers with bands of contrasting colour near top.
The 1,963 seat Ascot opened in December 1939, after delays in construction caused by the declaration of War, and subsequent alterations to strengthen the roof to provide better shelter in the event of bombing. It was renamed 'Gaumont' in 1950 and became 'Odeon' in 1964, before closing as a cinema and converting to a bingo hall in 1975. After final closure in 1998 the building remained empty until 2001 when new flats were erected on the site, with only the principle façade retained.
References and Notes updated as part of the Cinemas Thematic Study 2007-08.
Other nearby listed buildings