This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8362 / 55°50'10"N
Longitude: -4.2701 / 4°16'12"W
OS Eastings: 257930
OS Northings: 662663
OS Grid: NS579626
Mapcode National: GBR 0HW.HM
Mapcode Global: WH3P8.CKWR
Entry Name: 697 Pollokshaws Road, 5 Torrisdale Street, Bank of Scotland Building
Listing Date: 5 December 1989
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 374437
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32398
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Southside Central
Traditional County: Renfrewshire
Late 19th century as British Linen Bank (monogrammed), 3-storey red ashlar corner building with classical details, balustraded street elevations not identical, octagonal, corner bay with bank entrance (granite-columned doorcase, sculptured ornament), consoled 1st floor window hoods, blind drum stage set above main eaves and facetted roof. Stone-cleaned at ground, channelled to Torrisdale Street and with inset
pilasters, close right to upper flats, arcade to Pollokshaws Road and with shop also; at 1st floor, window architraves overlay pilasters; 3-light windows at N end of Pollokshaws Road elevation; most original
plate glass sashes survive. Corniced stacks; slate roofs.
A British Linen Bank by James Thomson was proposed, 1873, for 697 Pollokshaws Road/2a Regent Park Terrace.
Other nearby listed buildings