This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8772 / 55°52'37"N
Longitude: -4.3111 / 4°18'39"W
OS Eastings: 255513
OS Northings: 667307
OS Grid: NS555673
Mapcode National: GBR 07D.5Y
Mapcode Global: WH3P1.RJ9T
Plus Code: 9C7QVMGQ+VH
Entry Name: Hyndland Public School, 12 Airlie Street, Glasgow
Listing Name: 12 Airlie Street, Hyndland Public School
Listing Date: 28 July 1987
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 374682
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32469
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Partick East/Kelvindale
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
H E Clifford, architect; 1910. Rectangular symmetrical
school with classical details. 3 storeys and basement.
Polished red ashlar, channelled at ground: rusticated at
basement, to left with 4-bay pillared openings to basement.
All single windows with modern glazing pattern.
N elevation with advanced taller central bay with rusticated
quoins, balcony to 1st, 6 elongated windows to 2nd floor. To
ground, single storey advanced wing with bi or tripartite
windows with entrance porches to E and W. Steps to wide
doorways flanked by banded pilasters supporting urns, frieze
with swag-tails over double-leaf doors.
W elevation 15-bay with flat voissoirs over ground floor
windows. 2 outermost bays blind above ground. At 1st, 3rd and
11th bays with corbels supporting pillars flanking windows
with open topped pediment. Otherwise pilasters divide 1st
floorwindows with pilastered reveals. At 2nd floor, 3/4
length pilasters divide windows. Bands over ground and 1st
floors inscribed: Hyndland Public School, 1910; Govan Parish
School Board respectively. Mutule main cornice, modern
concrete tile roof.
S elevation 9-bay, advanced centre 3 bays with bipartites
flanking tripartites. Band course to 2nd floor.
E elevation 14-bay stugged ashlar with single windows and
tall off-centre stack with moulding detail near top. Cill
band at ground, moulded band course to 2nd.
Stugged red ashlar boundary and retaining walls with curved
coping supporting cast-iron railings. To NW angle,
round-arched ashlar gateway with plain cast-iron gates.
Double flight of steps to raised playground.
Other nearby listed buildings