This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8791 / 55°52'44"N
Longitude: -4.3053 / 4°18'19"W
OS Eastings: 255881
OS Northings: 667507
OS Grid: NS558675
Mapcode National: GBR 08D.B7
Mapcode Global: WH3P1.VH0C
Plus Code: 9C7QVMHV+JV
Entry Name: Hyndland Parish Church, 79 Hyndland Road, Glasgow
Listing Name: 79 Hyndland Road, Hyndland Parish Church, Church of Scotland
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 375041
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32532
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Partick East/Kelvindale
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
William Leiper, architect; 1886. Simple Gothic cruciform church; nave and aisles with transepts and chancel, projected tower to N, incomplete above elaborate porch. Bull-faced red ashlar with polished quoins, margins and dressings, buttressed aisles and angles. Large pointed arch windows with moulded reveals, hood-moulds andd geometric tracery. Pointed arch portal to SW with nook shafts supporting hollow chamfer moulding and cusped soffit. Recessed trefoil-headed door with decorative studded hinges. SE door with roll-moulded surround, gabled with cusped tympanum resting in elaborately carved corbels.
Interior with nave separated from aisles by pointed arcade of clustered columns with foliate capitals. Open timber roof supported by engaged columns resting on figurative corbels. E window by Douglas Strachan 1921, designed as war memorial. Aisle windows by Douglas Hamilton circa 1940; Gordon Webster circa 1960; and Sax Shaw 1969. Chancel and choir stalls with carved and panelled oak; polychrome marble altar table supported on colonnettes with carved reredos flanked by figures of Saints in niches. Elaborate octagonal polychrome marble and ashlar font and pulpit; latter with carved oak tester. Brass eagle lectern. Henry Willis organ, 1887 in N transept. Former Lady Chapel in S transept converted 1966 by I J Ballantine to Memorial Chapel, with modern furnishings and hanging lamps. Wrought-iron screens; window by William Wilson, 1962. Ornate wrought-iron lamps and lamp brackets by Starkie Gardner & Co and Taylor & Tucker, both of London.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Other nearby listed buildings