This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8775 / 55°52'38"N
Longitude: -4.2933 / 4°17'35"W
OS Eastings: 256629
OS Northings: 667303
OS Grid: NS566673
Mapcode National: GBR 0BD.ST
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.0JVL
Plus Code: 9C7QVPG4+XM
Entry Name: Kelvinside Hillhead Parish Church, 23 Saltoun Street, Glasgow
Listing Name: 23 Saltoun Street, Belmont and Hillhead Parish Church, Church of Scotland
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 375298
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32584
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Partick East/Kelvindale
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
James Sellars, architect; 1875-6. French Gothic church built
on the plan of Sainte Chapelle; stugged, coursed ashlar with
polished dressings, stonecleaned.
Pointed arch portal to W front with nook shafts and bands of
decorative moulding; double doors with trumeau. Large rose
window above set in pointed arched moulded recesses supported
on engaged columns; large angels carved in spandrels.
Flanking portal, full-height buttresses rise to gabled niches
linked below mains gable by blind arcade. To angles, 3-sided buttress-towers rise to hexagonal spires flanking main gable.
5-bay flanks with tall gabled traceried windows of triple
lancets and roses divided by buttresses. Gabled porch to S.
7-bay apse with similarly detailed windows. Plain parapet
with gargoyles. Slate roofs, tile cresting, elaborate fleche.
Single storey 1950's hall extension to E.
Interior with elongated engaged columns between windows
supporting ribbed vaulted roof. Gallery to W with panelled
front supported on cast-iron columns, organ to rear by H
Willis & Sons, 1876; restored 1930. Elaborately carved oak
pulpit. Interior redesigned by P McGregor Chalmers circa 1921
to give present seating arrangement; blind arcading to apse
wall with war memorials; carved timber choir stalls and
communion table of Rochette marble. Marble font with
elaborate carved oak canopy. Nave and apse windows by various
designers: Burne-Jones 1893; Cottier and Co (3)1893-1903;
Meikle & Sons, 1917; Sadie McLellan, 1958.
Part of Huntly Gardens B group.
Other nearby listed buildings