This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8591 / 55°51'32"N
Longitude: -4.2544 / 4°15'15"W
OS Eastings: 258996
OS Northings: 665182
OS Grid: NS589651
Mapcode National: GBR 0LM.ND
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.MZBP
Plus Code: 9C7QVP5W+M7
Entry Name: Princes Square, 34-58 Buchanan Street, Glasgow
Listing Name: 34-58 (Even Nos) Buchanan Street with 7-17 (Odd Nos) Springfield Court, Formerly Prince of Wales Buildings Now Known As Princes Square
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 375461
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32634
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
John Baird, 1854, courtyard, covered over and with
interior alterations, 1987. Main elevation to Buchanan
Street, returning to E into Springfield Court. 3-storey
and attic (full attic to E courtyard block, and 2-storey
and attic to wing). Originally a hotel, converted to
business chambers and commercial use.
BUCHANAN STREET ELEVATION: irregular astylar 3-5-5-4-2
bay, centre (5) and ends (3 x 2) advanced; modern shop
fronts at ground with 3 pends into square. All windows
in architraves, corniced at 1st floor, consoled pediments
to centre; continuous cill band to 1st and 2nd floors,
entablature with die parapet.
S SIDE ELEVATION: 4 advanced bays to left, with angled
bay before 18 to main elevation continuous cill band to
2nd floor windows; doorways to each of 18 bays at
ground, some blocked as windows; some blinded upper
E END ELEVATION: 18-bay with rounded corners and 1
consoled, pedimented doorway.
N SIDE ELEVATION TO SPRINGFIELD COURT: 16-bay to left and
centre, with recess to right before advanced gable end
of Buchanan Street block; alterations at ground.
12-pane glazing pattern to sash and case windows.
Leaded parapet to side and rear elevations, with slated
mansard roofs; slated gabled roof to main W block.
INTERIOR: elevations of former courtyard radically altered
in interior conversion (1987). Additions in Art Nouveau
style, and glazed, pitched roof.
Baird's work of 1854 incorporated an earlier square of
1840, and was designed as a hotel premises.
Other nearby listed buildings