This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8584 / 55°51'30"N
Longitude: -4.2455 / 4°14'43"W
OS Eastings: 259551
OS Northings: 665080
OS Grid: NS595650
Mapcode National: GBR 0NM.GN
Mapcode Global: WH3P8.R0KQ
Plus Code: 9C7QVQ53+9R
Entry Name: City Hall And Bazaar, 60 Candleriggs, Glasgow
Listing Name: 60-106 (Even Nos) Candleriggs 3-31 (Odd Nos) Bell Street and 69-97 (Odd Nos) Albion Street Candleriggs City Hall and Bazaar
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 375484
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32647
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Tagged with: Architectural structure
Complex of buildings occupying large rectangular site, buildings to N (completing the block) have been demolished.
Bazaar (former cheese and fruit market) to the S begun 1817 as open air walled market-place; walls partially rebuilt (to SE) and roofed over 1907 by JAT Houston, architect.
City Hall begun 1839-41 by George Murray, Albion Street elevation 1843 (after death of Murray), N end John Baird Snr. 1843-45 Halls reroofed and some interior work John Baird II, 1851-54. Candleriggs elevation of Halls remodelled by John Carrick 1885, and added curved range of single storey shops to Candleriggs/Bell Street corner. Arched market hall at N John Carrick with Bell and Miller 1852-53.
90-98 Candleriggs: Main hall. John Carrick, 1885. Italianate facade with rich detailing. 2-storey, 5-bay polished sandstone front with lower courses of polished pink granite.
Square-headed pilastered doorways to ground with heavy panelled doors. Flanking these, giant Corinthian pilasters divide bays, each engaged to banded piers which rise through ground and 1st floors to springing point of 1st floor windows. 1st floor windows round-arched with deep reveals, blind balustrading below. All windows with 3 large vertical glazing bars to lower part, and upper part with 5-pane glazing.
Channelled masonry at spandrel level. Pilasters support entablature with dentil band and mutule cornice. Die balustrade to parapet.
Interior: Albion Street elevation: simple astylar 3 and 4-storey 18-bay elevation to Albion Street truncated to N, arranged 10-5-3, 10 bays to S 3-storey and plainer in detail. Central 5-bays shallow advanced and taller with channelled ground floor masonry. Pilastered doorways to ground to outer bays, some with original double-leaf panelled doors.
To S 10 bays all windows plain single lights, to Northernmost bays 1st and 2nd windows architraved, corniced to 1st. To centre 5 bays inner 3 bays recessed and grouped as tripartite window with pilasters dividing lights at 1st, to 2nd consoled frieze. Flanking these, ramped architraved windows, with consoled cornice to 1st. All windows single light with either modern 3-pane glazing or sash and case windows with 12-pane glazing.
To N and centre bays continuous cornice over ground string course to 2nd at N. Each section separate main cornice, disc frieze over centre, cornice rising to stepped parapet over centre bays.
Market Hall: Pend to No 71 gives access to aisled and galleried market hall (Carrick with Bell and Miller) with elaborate and very decorative cast-iron trussed roofs. Elaborate cast-iron balconies, pierced spandrel details.
60-82 Candleriggs and 3-9 Bell Street: John Carrick, 1885. Long elevation of 2-storeys 25 bays with shops to ground and saloon above curving at corner of Candleriggs and Bell Street. Painted polished ashlar. Taller pedimented pend entrance with channelled masonry to N. Otherwise plain masonry, shopfronts to ground. 1st floor windows round-arched with pilastered reveals, 6-pane glazing. Pilasters flank bays, plain entablature. Eaves cornice and blocking course. To curved angle, wider bay (formerly pend to ground) with paired Doric anta piers and columns flanking window. Above scrolled pediment dated 1885 with fruit basket finial. Slate roofs.
13-31 Bell Street and 69-97 Albion Street: 1907, J W Houston, architect. Italianate single storey facade to S fronting Bell Street and flank Albion Street, cast-iron framed interior.
Bell Street: main elevation symmetrical 7-bay in polished red sandstone. Fluted giant engaged Ionic columns (pilasters to end and centre bays) divide bays each with large recessed opening below housing vehicle entrances to end and centre bays, shopfronts and pedestrian access to intermediate bays. Above, large moulded semi-circular arch with disc moulding to each. To central bay shallow segmental arch with foliate mouldings and cartouche. Columns support entablature and at centre bay segmental pediment.
Albion Street: long plainer elevation to Albion Street, 6-bay with channelled masonry. To Northernmost bay large roll-moulded vehicle entrance and pend, cornice over. Otherwise each bay has bipartite timber shopfront (all recently restored) under common cornice. Plain eaves band with cornice.
Interior: good cast-iron framed interior with plain cast-iron columns supporting roof trusses in 3-aisled layout. Slate and glass roof.
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings