This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8613 / 55°51'40"N
Longitude: -4.2518 / 4°15'6"W
OS Eastings: 259164
OS Northings: 665421
OS Grid: NS591654
Mapcode National: GBR 0ML.5M
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.NYJ0
Plus Code: 9C7QVP6X+G7
Entry Name: 24 George Square, Glasgow
Listing Name: 24 George Square and 12-16 (Even Nos) Anchor Lane
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 375546
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32688
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
James Sellars, 1874. 3-storey, mezzanine and basement
5-bay office building, with attic storey added later.
Cream ashlar sandstone; vermiculated channelling
alternating with ashlar bands at ground, and to quoins,
cornice above ground floor; guilloche cill course at 2nd
floor; decorative eaves brackets, grouped in 3s and 4s,
to original mutuled main cornice. Round-arched entrance
with masqued keystone moulded architrave and guilloche
frieze; decorative wrought-iron 2-leaf gates and overthrow,
and window guards to ground floor bipartite windows;
swagged panels above bipartites, with mezzanine storey above.
Aediculed windows at 1st floor each with balustraded balcony
and segmental shell pediments; architraved 2nd floor and attic
windows. Pilasters on panelled dies dividing attic windows
modillioned cornice. Rear to Anchor Lane.
Plate glass glazing pattern, with some top-hopper windows.
Forms the central of three blocks closing George Square to
W, in a style begun by J T Rochead in 1869 in his design for
2 St Vincent Place, and completed in J Burnet's Merchant's
House to N, in a continuous Italian Palazzo style (both
Other nearby listed buildings