This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8618 / 55°51'42"N
Longitude: -4.2502 / 4°15'0"W
OS Eastings: 259265
OS Northings: 665469
OS Grid: NS592654
Mapcode National: GBR 0ML.HG
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.PX9N
Entry Name: 40 George Square, Millennium (Formerly North British) Hotel
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 375548
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32690
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Circa 1807-18. Classical terrace (originally domestic), with porches and balcony added circa 1850, and top floor and mansard attic by James Thomson, (of Baird and Thomson) 1903-5. Regrettable conservatory added circa 1986. Rendered and lined, with painted rustication at ground floor. Symmetrical 21-bay to George Square (3-4-7-4-3), 4-storey, basement and attic. Centre bays slightly advanced, with round-arched
entrances set in segmental doorpieces in outer bays of central group; pierced balcony bridging between pediments. Modern conservatory spanning 15 bays at centre, breaking for entrance
flights of steps. 3 architraved and pedimented windows to
centre at 1st floor, flanked by 2 round-arched panels each
side, with plain windows. Original cornice retained below
architraved attic windows, centre 3 flanked by pilasters and
breaking balustrade at centre in round-arched panel with
initialled roundel. Outer bays with giant fluted composite
pilasters retained from original design, with pedimented and
architraved 1st floor windows and paterae frieze below
mutule cornice; eaves balustrade. Pedimented dormer windows
in slate mansard.
NORTH HANOVER STREET ELEVATION: 5-bay on incline. 3 left bays
with Ionic doorpiece at centre and paired windows above, the
left blind. 2 windows at ground altered to bipartite.
REAR ELEVATION asymmetrical, with projecting rectangular stair
blocks off-centre to left and to right.
Plate glass sash and case windows, some with marginal glazing.
Panelled stacks with moulded coping.
Incorporated in the later additions and alterations to the
hotel, are the remaining vestiges of the Georgian terrace
such as once bounded the Square. The North British Railway
Company which ran from Queen Street Station, commissioned the
additions of a 1903-5, though the buildings had first been
tailored for hotel purposes in 1855.
Other nearby listed buildings