This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8554 / 55°51'19"N
Longitude: -4.2512 / 4°15'4"W
OS Eastings: 259180
OS Northings: 664762
OS Grid: NS591647
Mapcode National: GBR 0MN.9Q
Mapcode Global: WH3P8.N2TZ
Plus Code: 9C7QVP4X+5G
Entry Name: Former Stockwell Free Church, 170-180 Howard Street With 37 Ropework Lane, Glasgow
Listing Name: 170-180 (Even Nos) Howard Street with 37 Ropework Lane, Former Stockwell Free Church
Listing Date: 4 September 1989
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 375609
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32729
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Built 1842 as Stockwell Chapel of Ease. 2-stage and basement, classical Free Church, converted to warehouse 1886, by Robert Dalglish. Further small addition, 1887, by Robert Renfrew. Rectangular plan. Painted ashlar base course and W facade, coursed rubble to other elevations with ashlar dressings; moulded eaves cornice.
W ELEVATION (ROPEWORK LANE): 3-bay, centre bay flanked by coupled giant pilasters with entablature and parapet above with coped terminal stacks. Round-arched, architraved former window at centre, with keystone and moulded panel above, currently blocked. (Architraved doorway to right
bay with keystone and architraved, arched panel above containing fanlight and arched upper window. Left-hand bay with basement opening; arched panel above, detailed as right bay, with window at ground).
N ELEVATION (HOWARD STREET): symmetrical 5-bay detailed as W windows (2 inserted doors in outer bays).
E ELEVATION (METROPOLE LANE): 4 bays with 2 arched windows in upper stage.
Panelled aprons to round-arched windows. Grilles to basement openings and small-pane windows.
Began in 1839 when a group of members of East Campbell Street Auld Licht congregation sought and were granted admission to the Church of Scotland and became Stockwell Chapel of Ease. A church was built in 1842 in Ropework Lane at the corner of Howard Street. In 1843 they came out, taking their property with them, to become Stockwell Free Church. The various works connected with the construction of St Enoch Station (opened in 1876) resulted in the disappearance of houses, so that in 1895 "because of movement of population" it was resolved to move "to a more populous area". They therefore sold their property (to a wholesale grocer for $3100) and transported to Albert Road (now Drive) in Pollockshields, acquiring it would seem, a wide variety of names in course of the transition.
Interior not seen. In 1886 the church was converted to a warehouse, for Robert Mitchell, with the extension to S of 1887.
Other nearby listed buildings