This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8576 / 55°51'27"N
Longitude: -4.249 / 4°14'56"W
OS Eastings: 259326
OS Northings: 664999
OS Grid: NS593649
Mapcode National: GBR 0MM.RY
Mapcode Global: WH3P8.P1V9
Plus Code: 9C7QVQ52+29
Entry Name: National Bank, 190 Trongate, Glasgow
Listing Name: 190 Trongate and 2-4 (Even Nos) Glassford Street
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 375714
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32789
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
T P Marwick (Edinburgh) with W Birnie Rhind, sculptor,
1903. Mixed renaissance style, for National Bank.
4-storey and attic, commercial building, 4 bays to
Glassford Street, 3 bays to the Trongate plean ashlar,
with polished granite base course and columns.
Channelled ground floor with rounded arrises, banded
GLASSFORD STREET ELEVATION: 3 round-arched bays at
ground to centre and right; off-centre Roman Doric
columned doorpiece set in central arch, with semi-
circular carved panel above, flanked by 2 similarly
headed windows. Smaller architraved and keystoned door in
N bay with small stair windows in 2 storeys above.
Modillion cornice above ground floor. 3 keystoned and
corniced windows with Gibbs surrounds in 1st and 2nd
floors. Corbelled corner turrets rising through 3rd
floor and attic and capped with finialled domes.
Corbelled, Ionic engaged columns divide 3rd floor
windows, modillioned main cornice with elaborate, 3-
stage, aediculed, wallhead gable above with sculpted
TRONGATE ELEVATION: detailed as Glassford Street without
left-hand door and stair window bay; glazing to 3 arches
REAR ELEVATION: ashlar with tall panelled stack rising
from 3rd floor. Steep pyramidal roof and wrought-iron
Small-pane casement windows. Slated French pyramid
roof with decorative iron ridge railings.
Built on site of Shawfield Mansion, by Colen Campbell,
1712, destroyed 1793, and bears a plaque commemorating
this fact. Model exhibited at RSA 1902. Builders were
Muir and Son, Glasgow.
Other nearby listed buildings