This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8592 / 55°51'33"N
Longitude: -4.2529 / 4°15'10"W
OS Eastings: 259088
OS Northings: 665185
OS Grid: NS590651
Mapcode National: GBR 0LM.YC
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.NZ0N
Plus Code: 9C7QVP5W+MR
Entry Name: 57, 59, 61, 63, 65, 67, The Guild Hall, Glasgow
Listing Name: 45-67 (Odd Nos) Queen Street, the Guild Hall
Listing Date: 4 September 1989
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 375747
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32815
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
David Barclay, 1900. 7-storey and basement, Baroque
office block. Red sandstone ashlar to frontage of 9
tripartite bays, and 3 bays to side; brick to rear and
further 9 bays each side. Modern shop fronts at ground,
retaining entrances of original closes; wider entrance
at centre, of polished granite pilasters with scrolled
capitals, and consoled lintel, with 2-leaf panelled
mahogany, arched doors and tripartite inner door;
entrances in flanking bays similar with scrolled
capitals to pilasters, supporting advanced section of
continuous ground floor cornice. Elaborate and varied
carved detail between floors. Windows divided by
pilasters. Bowed tripartite bays form 1st to 5th floors
in centre and outer bays. Moulded cill courses.
Pedimented centre light to 6th floor windows; centre
bay capped by gabled, broken pediment with cartouche,
and outer bowed bays with broken segmental pediments.
Intermediate windows with consoled pediments to centre
lights of each 2nd floor window; 2 decoratively corbelled
aedicules on 3rd and 7th bays at 4th floor. Urn finials
to dies between bays, above eaves.
SIDE ELEVATIONS: Simply detailed. Stepped stair windows
to 2 end bays to W of N side.
REAR ELEVATION: 10-bay.
Plate-glass glazing pattern to casement (?) windows.
Decorative steel railings to basements at side.
INTERIOR: white walled atrium at entre.
Built as warehouse for Hunter Barr and Co. Exhibited at
Royal Glasgow Institute of Fine Arts, 1905. Information
courtesy David Walker.
Other nearby listed buildings