This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8601 / 55°51'36"N
Longitude: -4.2524 / 4°15'8"W
OS Eastings: 259125
OS Northings: 665288
OS Grid: NS591652
Mapcode National: GBR 0MM.21
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.NY8X
Plus Code: 9C7QVP6X+33
Entry Name: Royal Exchange, 46-58 Royal Exchange Square, Glasgow
Listing Name: 111 Queen Street and 46-58 (Even Nos) Royal Exchange Square, Gallery of Modern Art (Former Stirling's Library, Former Cunninghame Mansion and Former Royal Exchange)
Listing Date: 6 July 1966
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 375754
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32818
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
E end (former Cunningham Mansion), 1778, altered and
enlarged for Royal Exchange, David Hamilton, 1827-30,
with 2nd E attic by Hamilton, 1880. Sculpture by James
Fillans. Cream and yellow ashlar. 3-storey (2nd as full
attic above cornice), attic to E end, and basement.
E ELEVATION: imposing 7-bay Corinthian, pedimented
portico, octostyle, with giant order on low plinth; full
entablature and pediment and within portico coffered
ceiling. 5 tripartite doorways flanked by windows,
divided by panelled pilasters, cornice above as cill
course for 5 architraved and corniced 1st floor windows.
W ELEVATION: 3-bay. Wide advanced bay at centre with
segmental tripartite window, with Corinthian column
mullions and flanking pilasters, entablature as lintel
and shallow fanlight and Soanic incised detail replacing
architrave. Recessed outer bays with round-arched
windows at ground and small windows above, flanked by
giant Corinthian pilasters. Blocking course above
modillioned cornice raised at centre with diminutive
pedimented crowning details.
N AND S ELEVATIONS: 9 bays to W (Hamilton, circa 1830)
and 5 bays to E (Cunningham Mansion) linked by
modillioned cornice. Corinthian hexastyle screen to W
and, with entablature and parapet, with large anthemion
finials to dies. 5 advanced bays to E with giant
Corinthian pilastrade; doorway at centre of N elevation;
pilaster jambs to corniced windows at ground and
consoled pediments to those at 1st floor; small windows
with shouldered architraves in parapet, with panelled
dies bearing scrolls; slate mansard (1880) with 3
segmental leaded dormer windows each side. Set behind
portico at E end, tall Corinthian peristyle lantern on
channelled masonry base with projecting clock faces, and
with open crown and shallow ogee dome.
Small-pane, margin glazing pattern to ground floor sash
and case windows of E bays, with plate-glass glazing to
round-arched windows, and to sash and case at 1st floor.
INTERIOR: inlaid marble vestibule with coffered ceiling;
scagliola pedimented doorpiece; oval well with
decorative ironwork balustrade; decorative leaded oval
skylight above further inlaid marble floor. Decorative
plasterwork to aisled hall, with massive Corinthian
columns and entablature; flat ceilings above aisles.
Decorative cast-iron, partly gilded, railings and
pedestals front basement area.
Cunningham of Lainshaw commissioned the original mansion. Stirling's Library was formerly housed in Miller Street. Gomme and Walker point out the influence of Soane on the design, especially his Bank of England. Surrounding terraces of square, the Bank at W end (92-100 Buchanan Street), and the Wellington statue are listed separately.
Other nearby listed buildings