This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8614 / 55°51'41"N
Longitude: -4.2532 / 4°15'11"W
OS Eastings: 259080
OS Northings: 665433
OS Grid: NS590654
Mapcode National: GBR 0LL.XL
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.MXWY
Plus Code: 9C7QVP6W+HP
Entry Name: Clydesdale Bank Headquarters, 30-40 St Vincent Place, Glasgow
Listing Name: 30-40 (Even Nos) St Vincent Place, Known As 30 St Vincent Place
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 375797
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32841
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
John Burnet Sen, 1870-73. Asymmetrical 7-bay Venetian
Renaissance, 3-storey and basement bank. White sandstone
ashlar, channelled at ground with vermiculated quoins;
mutule cornice above ground, moulded 2nd floor cill
course and modillion main cornice; balustrade and dies
with finials. Main entrance bay wider and slightly
advanced, off-centre to right. Tripartite doorway with
semi-circular door flanked by polished granite columns
with Ionic capitals, heraldic carving, various moulded
bands and Father Clyde keystone. Round-arched window above
set in tripartite panel, flanked by paired Ionic columns
and with broken-open segmental pediment above enclosing
cartouche; figures flanking with further paired outer
columns bearing statue figure groups. 3 2nd floor
windows to entrance bay divided by paired pilasters and
columns. Moulded parapet with shell ornament over main
cornice and broken segmental pediment clasping plinth for
urn; flanking pedestals with urn finials.
Cupped roundels holding masques in spandrels between
round-arched ground floor windows. Outer bay to left with
paired arches, outermost as door.
Round-arched 1st floor windows with dividing Ionic
columns and pilasters, architraved at 2nd with dividing
Corinthian order in similiar pattern. Outer left bay with
paired Ionic columns above ground floor, Corinthian to
Round-arched windows in timber bipartite form with
attached, slender cast-iron column mullions and stone
lintels. Plate glass casement and sash and case windows.
INTERIOR: square 5 x 5 bay cortile Banking Hall, echoing
Brunelleschi's Ospedal degli Innocenti, Florence, at
ground and attached Ionic columns. Similarly detailed
upper gallery with narrower arches and bipartite openings;
modillion cornice; head roundels to spandrels. Segmentally
arched and coffered ceiling with oval glass dome and
decorative leaded glazing, ribbed and glazed oval cupola.
Fine consoled mahogany island counter.
Sculpture by John Mossman, other figures by Grassby.
Original cost, $35,000. Alterations by John Burnet and
Son, 1902, to interior of western bays, and alteration
to westmost doorway.
Other nearby listed buildings