This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8719 / 55°52'18"N
Longitude: -4.2859 / 4°17'9"W
OS Eastings: 257070
OS Northings: 666668
OS Grid: NS570666
Mapcode National: GBR 0DG.8T
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.4NCW
Entry Name: University of Glasgow, Gilmorehill Campus Building A4, Pearce Lodge Including Integral Gateway and Janitor's House
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 376117
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32925
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hillhead
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
A G Thomson, Architect & Civil Engineer, 1887. 2-storey and attic, rectangular-plan, Baronial lodge and teaching building with single storey former Janitor's House adjoining to S. Conical-roofed stairtower to NW angle; decorative mid 17th-century sculptural fragments from demolished Old College (High Street) incorporated into exterior. Polished and droved ashlar sandstone. Base course; eaves cornice; architraved openings with strapwork pediments.
N (UNIVERSITY AVENUE) ELEVATION: arched entrance to loggia with rusticated surround; 2 similarly treated windows to right. 1st floor elaborately sculpted pedimented panel flanked by semi-engaged urns; 2 windows to right with strapwork pediments and massive corbel table in front, similar dormers above; E gable with inscribed panel. NW stair tower with dormers and pepperpot roof. E ELEVATION: arcaded loggia, windows with corbel table above; crow-stepped gable with eaves course and window. S ELEVATION: arched entrance set in relieving pilasters to loggia, carved panel above; regularly placed, strapwork pedimented windows and dormers; lower single storey building to S similarly detailed rusticated quoins, skewputts. W ELEVATION: crow-stepped gable, similar detailing; rope moulding date panel "ANN DOM 1658" tall, narrow corniced gable stacks.
Small-pane timber windows, some sash and case some fixed pane with top hoppers. Pitched slate roof; crowstepped gables; tall offset diamond-plan stacks.
INTERIOR: (seen 2010). Original room plan largely extant. Simple cornicing to most rooms. Stone spiral stair. Large attic teaching room with braced timber roof structure; timber lining boards; plain timber fireplace (blocked); decorative iron vent.
Pearce Lodge is part of an A-Group with McMillan Reading Room, Gatepiers, Railings, Lord Kelvin's Sundial, Quincentenary Gates, Hunter Memorial, John McIntyre Building, Thomson Building, James Watt Building and Gilbert Scott Buildings.
Pearce Lodge is of particular significance for the incorporation and replication of mid-17th-century sculptural fragments from the Old College buildings in the High Street (demolished in the 1870s for creation of a railway goods yard). The fragments bear testament to the high quality and magnificence of the Renaissance Palace-style complex used by the University until its removal to Gilmorehill.
The building is named after Sir William Pearce of the Fairfield Shipping & Engineering Co., who provided the money for the rescue of decorative elements of the Old College and their incorporation into the new lodge at Gilmorehill. Alexander George Thomson, the architect and civil engineer, had previously campaigned unsuccessfully against demolition of the Old College buildings.
Most of the decorative masonry fragments are from the High Street frontage of Old College of 1654-60 by John Clerk. The N and E elevations of Pearce Lodge form an approximate reproduction of the old High Street central gateway and its flanking bays with consoled balconies. The Royal Coat of Arms was reputedly added to Old College in 1660 to celebrate the restoration of Charles II.
Formerly listed as '1K Gilmorehill, University of Glasgow, Pearce Lodge, comprising Gateway, Janitor's House and Classrooms'.
List description updated as part of review of the University of Glasgow Hillhead Campus, 2011. The building number is derived from the University of Glasgow Main Campus Map (2007), as published on the University's website www.gla.ac.uk
Other nearby listed buildings