This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8732 / 55°52'23"N
Longitude: -4.2906 / 4°17'26"W
OS Eastings: 256779
OS Northings: 666821
OS Grid: NS567668
Mapcode National: GBR 0CG.BC
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.2M3W
Plus Code: 9C7QVPF5+7Q
Entry Name: 12 University Gardens, Glasgow
Listing Name: University of Glasgow, Gilmorehill Campus Building D15, 12 University Gardens, Salmon House, Including Boundary Walls and Entrance Piers
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 376145
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32932
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hillhead
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
J Gaff Gillespie (Salmon, Son & Gillespie), 1900. 4-bay, 3-storey and attic Art Nouveau terraced house with bell-cast turret. Polished ashlar sandstone, channeled at ground floor; ground floor cill band; simple recessed architraves to ground floor windows.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: Entrance at base of full-height canted bay, 2nd from N; architraved, corniced. 1st floor round-headed window N bay, solid corbelled balcony in front with decorative wrought-iron panel. Dentil band, cornice over S bays, canted bay breaking through cornice with cill band, multi-light fully glazed attic windows divided by timber strips, projecting eaves, bell-cast roof. Raised section to left attached to turret.
Sash and case windows, multi-pane glazing. Slate roofs; gabled dormer; corniced mutual stacks.
INTERIOR (seen 1988): numerous original features including: oak beamed entrance hall with Art Nouveau and Glasgow Style fittings and panelling. Fretwork door with stained glass panels. Sculpted head stair newels. Further fittings and fixtures in main rooms. Stained glass by Oscar Paterson (1863-1934).
BOUNDARY WALLS AND ENTRANCE PIERS: boundary walls and piers with cushion caps flanking entrance steps; cast-iron railings now missing.
12 University Gardens forms an A-Group with 2-10 University Gardens, 1 University Gardens, 14 University Gardens and 11-13 University Gardens (see separate listings)12 University Gardens is of outstanding interest as a near intact example of the work of a prominent Glasgow architect, John Gaff Gillespie (1870-1926) and of the use of the Art Nouveau, 'Glasgow Style' which characterised development in the city during this period. The building is a fine example of the work of one of the members of the so called 'Glasgow Style' which also included Charles Rennie Mackintosh. The architectural design is characteristic of this style with a use of e strong abstract forms and clean organic shapes and lines. The design of 12 University Gardens is characterised throughout by the interpretation of this style, particularly in the prominent entrance tower with curved bell-cast roof and in the fittings of the interior. The building also exhibits the interest of the designers who formed part of the Glasgow Style in historic techniques of construction and design motifs. This is particularly evident in the oak beamed entrance hall, and the use of some classical design features to the exterior, such as the dentilled cornice which links the building to its setting adjacent to the classical villa at 14 University Gardens (see separate listing).
Dean of Guild records show that No. 12 was commissioned by William S Workman (of George Smith & Sons, merchants and shipowners) from Salmon, Son & Gillespie. The house was acquired by the University in the 1950s.
Principal works of the Salmon, Son & Gillespie firm include the Marine Hotel at Troon (1897), the Glasgow Savings Bank at Anderston Cross (1899), and Lion Chambers in Hope Street (1904).
Formerly listed as '12 University Gardens'. Originally known as 'Saughfield Crescent'.
List description updated as part of review of the University of Glasgow Hillhead Campus, 2011. The building number is derived from the University of Glasgow Main Campus Map (2007), as published on the University's website www.gla.ac.uk.
Other nearby listed buildings