History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

264, 266 Bath Street and 150-160 (Even Nos) Elmbank Street and Sauchiehall Lane, Including the Griffin Public House

A Category B Listed Building in Glasgow, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8654 / 55°51'55"N

Longitude: -4.2678 / 4°16'4"W

OS Eastings: 258175

OS Northings: 665902

OS Grid: NS581659

Mapcode National: GBR 0HK.Y5

Mapcode Global: WH3P2.DTXX

Entry Name: 264, 266 Bath Street and 150-160 (Even Nos) Elmbank Street and Sauchiehall Lane, Including the Griffin Public House

Listing Date: 21 July 1988

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 376249

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32971

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Maryhill

Description

Circa 1855. 4-storey classical tenement with corner public house William Reid, 1904. 7 x 5 bays with 1 bowed bay at corner. 1st return bay to Elmbank Street blind.

Painted ashlar. 1st floor moulded cill band; cornice over 2nd floor forms 3rd floor cill band. Bowed bay relieved by flanking giant Doric pilasters rising through 1st and 2nd floors with dwarf pilasters on 3rd floor surmounted by balustrade. All windows sash and case in architraves consoled and corniced at 1st floor, pedimented on corner bay; corniced at 2nd floor; plain on 3rd floor. All windows single light except double light with stone mullion in E Bath street bay.

ELEVATION TO ELMBANK STREET: 2-23 bays. Doric pilastered entrance at No 156 with panelled door and fanlight. 2 wallhead stacks, one reduced.

ELEVATION TO BATH STREET: close entry with Doric pilasters panelled door and fanlight with glazing bars. To right channelled ground floor pierced by 1 single and 1 2-light stone mullioned window. Central stacks, 1 wallhead stack.

GRIFFIN PUBLIC HOUSE: 3 x 2 unequal bays with corner 3-light entrance bay; Art Nouveau timber mullion and transomed arched windows with stylisted central pediments, etched glass, decoratively moulded aprons, mutule cornice; sloping frieze, cornice, coupled brackets above entrance bay; double-leaf timber panelled and glass doors.

INTERIOR: Art Nouveau counter and carpentry fittings in public house.

Statement of Interest

Griffin public house former King's Arms.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.