This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8666 / 55°51'59"N
Longitude: -4.2792 / 4°16'45"W
OS Eastings: 257467
OS Northings: 666060
OS Grid: NS574660
Mapcode National: GBR 0FJ.MQ
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.7SJZ
Plus Code: 9C7QVP8C+J8
Entry Name: Christian Science Church, 1 La Belle Place, Glasgow
Listing Name: 1 La Belle Place and 7, 11 Clifton Street and La Belle Allee, Hindu Mandir, Former Queen's Rooms
Listing Date: 6 July 1966
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 376488
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33082
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Charles Wilson, 1857. Renaissance former halls on corner site, now Hindu Mandir. 3 x 9 unequal bays. Painted ashlar; rear elevation droved ashlar. Single volume rectangular plan with 2 storeys at rear, sunk basement. Continuous ground floor, pilastraded arcade, with solid moulded cornice transom with Greek key frieze. Wide arches at La Belle Place and outer bays to Clifton Street headed with stylised acroteria; sculpted tympana to Clifton Street; basement band course linked to ground floor cill band. Eaves entablature with sculpted frieze by Mossman depicting the progress of the Arts, dentil cornice. Parapet with dies. Pediments to N and S elevations, incised with lettering at S.
ELEVATION TO LA BELLE PLACE: central entrance bay with architraved door, panel and lunette above, flanked by 2 oblong stair lights.
ELEVATION TO CLIFTON STREET: 7 central glazed bays; with sculpted tympana surmounted by carved heads; southern entrance bay with chamfered panel above. Plain windows La Belle Allee. Corniced and architraved entry with door and fanlights to La Belle Allee.
INTERIOR: gutted and refitted.
Ashlar gate and railing piers. Cast-iron balustrade. Cast-iron lamp standards.
Formerly Queen's Rooms. Incised lettering in south pediment has: ERECTED BY DAVID BELL OF BLACKHALL MERCHANT IN GLASGOW MDCCCLVII CHARLES WILSON MQR ARCHITECT MOSSMAN SCULPTOR W T EDMISTON WRIGHT WILLIAM YORK BUILDER. Converted to First Church of Christ Scientist circa 1948 and later to Hindu Mandir. Place of worship in use as such.
Other nearby listed buildings