This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8619 / 55°51'42"N
Longitude: -4.2579 / 4°15'28"W
OS Eastings: 258785
OS Northings: 665494
OS Grid: NS587654
Mapcode National: GBR 0KL.YF
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.KXNL
Plus Code: 9C7QVP6R+QR
Entry Name: 130-136 St Vincent Street, Glasgow
Listing Name: 130-136a (Even Nos) St Vincent Street, 124-132 (Even Nos) Hope Street and 61, 63 West George Lane
Listing Date: 21 July 1988
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 376662
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33158
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
James Thomson (Baird and Thomson), 1876. 4-storey classical commercial building with modern shops at ground floor. 10 x 14 bays. Ashlar, channelled blocks at 1st floor. Sash and case, windows, plate glass. Plain 1st floor entablature, modillion cornice. Giant order of composite pilasters, banded with string courses at 3rd floor, rising from 2nd to 4th floor; 2nd floor windows lugged architraves, shallow block pediments with anthemion acroteria; 4th floor roll-moulded margins, moulded cill band broken by pilasters. Main modillion cornice has panelled frieze with sculpted rosettes. Details continue 2 bays into West George Lane to N.
Hope street elevation ingeniously accommodates slope by reducing 1st and 2nd floor storey heights of N 6 bays. All 2nd floor window heads at same level, 3rd floor storey height and cornice level consistent throughout.
Built for Dr J Macdougall, glass and china merchants.
Other nearby listed buildings