This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.865 / 55°51'54"N
Longitude: -4.2583 / 4°15'29"W
OS Eastings: 258774
OS Northings: 665843
OS Grid: NS587658
Mapcode National: GBR 0KK.W9
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.KVG5
Plus Code: 9C7QVP8R+2M
Entry Name: Savoy Centre, 140-160 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow
Listing Name: 130-158 (Even Nos) Sauchiehall Street, the Savoy Centre
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 376747
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33190
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
H and D Barclay, 1895, redeveloped behind the facade. Free classical. 5 storeys, 5 wide bays; commercial building with modern shops at ground floor. Ashlar ground floor cornice, raised on console brackets at centre. Elliptically arched giant pilastrade in 5 main bays and 4 narrow round-arched giant bays rising through 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors with canted centrally aediculed sculpted windows in main bays on 1st and 2nd floors and roundheaded lights above. Ground floor frieze and cornice; 1st floor moulded cill band; 2nd floor partially revealed entablature; 3rd floor sculpted figure frieze; 3rd floor mutule cornice with dentils. Dwarf Ionic columned and pilastered eaves gallery with entablature; pedimented with sculpted tympana in outer bays; parapet raised with scrolled supports and anthemion frieze on blocks with flanking urns in end bays.
An outstanding former warehouse with high streetscape interest and a good example of the work of H & D Barclay. It was redeveloped behind the façade by Gavin Paterson and Sons from 1971 to circa 1979 as the Savoy Centre. It had previously been reconstructed behind the façade in 1910 to create a cinema called The Picture House (later the Gaumont). See the Cinema Theatre Association website for more information about this now demolished cinema.
References and Notes updated as part of Cinemas Thematic Study 2007-08.
Other nearby listed buildings