History in Structure

St Jude's Episcopal Church, 278 West George Street, Glasgow

A Category B Listed Building in Glasgow, Glasgow

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 55.8635 / 55°51'48"N

Longitude: -4.2648 / 4°15'53"W

OS Eastings: 258356

OS Northings: 665693

OS Grid: NS583656

Mapcode National: GBR 0JK.JT

Mapcode Global: WH3P2.GWB9

Plus Code: 9C7QVP7P+C3

Entry Name: St Jude's Episcopal Church, 278 West George Street, Glasgow

Listing Name: 278 West George Street, Former St Jude's Church

Listing Date: 29 April 1988

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 376851

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33250

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200376851

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in


John Stephen, 1838-9. Greek Revival. Built as Episcopal
Church, later became former Presbyterian Church converted to
offices. Rectangular plan with raised, projecting vestibule
and stair tower. Painted ashlar, droved ashlar rear and side
elevation with rusticated basement. Sash and case windows
with main and subsidiary glazing bars.
2-STOREY CENTRAL VESTIBULE: giant Doric pilasters to all
sides supporting block shallow pediments with antefixae and
acroters. Entrance bays in right and left returns with
projecting pilastered doorpieces with anthemion and palmette
friezes and acroterion; lugged architraved doorway single
ramped lugged architraved stair lights above; central giant
southern exaggerated ramped door with rosette and patera
surround, consoled and corniced; flanking die walls. Incised
lettering and date in pediment. To right and left of
vestibule in main body of church: giant ramped, lugged
architraved windows; angle pilasters.
N bay blind, single bay ashlar projection with sculpted
frieze, basement windows; 5 single-light windows, on cill
band with block pediments. 2nd floor margined windows with
dropped cills. 5-bay rear elevation; sash and case windows
with decorative glazing bars. Cast-iron boundary railings.

Statement of Interest

Opened August 18, 1839. Some details and roof lantern


External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.