This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.864 / 55°51'50"N
Longitude: -4.2612 / 4°15'40"W
OS Eastings: 258587
OS Northings: 665732
OS Grid: NS585657
Mapcode National: GBR 0KK.8P
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.JV2Z
Plus Code: 9C7QVP7Q+HG
Entry Name: John Ross Memorial Church For The Deaf, 158-168 West Regent Street, Glasgow
Listing Name: 158-168 (Even Nos) West Regent Street and 237 West Campbell Street (Former John Ross Memorial Church for the Deaf and Institute for Adult Deaf and Dumb)
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 376885
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33278
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
CHURCH: Norman A Dick (Burnet Son and Dick) circa 1929.
INSTITUTE: Robert Duncan 1893-4. The 2 buildings integrated.
6 x 5 bays 3 storeys and basement. Polished ashlar plinth.
Sash and case window with plate glass. Ground floor cornice;
1st floor cornice forming 2nd floor cill band; plain eaves
entablature; slate roof.
ELEVATION TO WEST GEORGE STREET: church; 3 western bays,
advanced in centre and ground floor outer bays; ogee
hoodmoulded entrance with label stops, blocked archivolt,
flanked by 2 narrow hoodmoulded lights; outer bays plain
recessed margined windows repeated at 1st floor with string
courses between. 1st floor central applied gable surmounted
by cross, flanked by tabernacles with corbels rising through
buttresses; plain 2 and 1-light regular 2nd floor lights.
INSTITUTE: 3 eastern bays to West George Street; canted outer
bays; through ground and 1st floors; central entrance at head
of steps oversailing basement area, flanking polygonal piers,
corniced gablet enclosing, with ball finials; arched entry
with coupled colonettes, sculpted archivolt; raised,
architraved panel above with antefixae and acroterion,
lettering "INSTITUTE FOR ADULT DEAF AND DUMB" Outer bays
ground floor with moulded cill band, panelled aprons,
margined windows, repeated above with decorated pilaster
strips and arched windows; 3rd floor solid decorated
balconies, recessed windows with pilaster mullions;
pepper-pot turrets rising through steep hipped roof.
ELEVATION TO WEST CAMPBELL STREET: bays arranged 1-3-1 with
lower entrance bay to N, blank 1st bay from S with panelling,
large stack at gable head with antefixae.
Central bays: ground floor shallow canted centre bay with
pilaster mullioned window, plain single-light window to left;
blank 1st floor with lettered frieze "INSTITUTE FOR ADULT
DEAF AND DUMB 1893"; 3 plain recessed margined windows in 2nd
bay from N; ground floor 3-light window with pilaster
mullions; plain single-light window with recess margins on
each upper floor; pedimented gable with antefixae and
diminutive apex pediment; pedimented, arched entrance bay to
N blank at 1st floor, tall narrow, corniced wallhead stack
3rd bay from N.
Church designed to have Billiard Room below; new Board Room
designed 1929. Converted to design office 1989/90.
Other nearby listed buildings